Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

How long do struts and springs last?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:09 PM
1 Year Member
Default How long do struts and springs last?

So I'm pretty sure everything is still good on my car. But I was wondering normally how long do struts and springs last? And how do you know stuff like that is going bad? Mine is coming up on 60K miles. I plan on keeping this car till I pay it off which is still a little ways out. So when I need to replace them I'm going to go ahead and lower the car. But I don't want to have to do that until the time comes that I need to do so. Thanks guys

Old 07-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i have almost 50k on mine and they are still pretty stiff. you will notice the ride of your car will change when the struts are getting wore out

Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The Dealer recommends every 40,000 miles....

It all just boils down to ride comfort etc....Or til you notice un usual sounds noises creaks etc... The longer you let it go.. The more damage will be done to your suspension!

If you were in Michigan, I'd recommend after everytime you hit a pot hole.....

Old 07-21-2013, 09:07 PM
1 Year Member

My ride quality is still pretty good. I try and crawl over speed humps and dodge pot holes the best I can. I am starting to hear some squeaks, but they aren't to bad.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Check your strut every oil change. Look for oil or dirt
on the strut piston. This could indicate a leaking seal. Rust indicates the oil seal at the bottom of the piston is bad and the piston is moving inside the strut. Squeaking is another sign. Also if your steering feels harder, especially when parallel parking, is a sign of bad strut bearings. And ofcourse there's the Extra bouncing after hitting a bump.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I need a fresh new change of struts/springs. I can tell because when parked it has kind of a lean to it, it kinda sits back. and the front is high in the air
You can really tell in this pic.

Plus the ride is bouncy. Getting mine changed next week!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Check your strut every oil change. Look for oil or dirt
on the strut piston. This could indicate a leaking seal. Rust indicates the oil seal at the bottom of the piston is bad and the piston is moving inside the strut. Squeaking is another sign. Also if your steering feels harder, especially when parallel parking, is a sign of bad strut bearings. And of course there's the Extra bouncing after hitting a bump.
when you say "if your steering is harder" do you mean it feels harder when you turn the wheel? Because when I'm at a stand still and turn my wheel it is kinda hard to turn, it almost feels as if it has no power steering even though it does. Being that all the rear wheel drive cars I have driven had wheel that were pretty much effortless to turn. And now that I have my Monte, I kind of just figured it was because it was FWD.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bounce test. Pop the hood or trunk, push down on the car (using some kind of metal brace, don't just push a car fender), it should just pop right up without bobbing up and down.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
when you say "if your steering is harder" do you mean it feels harder when you turn the wheel? Because when I'm at a stand still and turn my wheel it is kinda hard to turn, it almost feels as if it has no power steering even though it does. Being that all the rear wheel drive cars I have driven had wheel that were pretty much effortless to turn. And now that I have my Monte, I kind of just figured it was because it was FWD.
That is exactly what I mean. It could be the strut bearings or the the power steering. If there is a rattle when you go over a bump. That's the bearing. Also, when little bumps sound like big pot holes.
Mine was real bad parking before I did my struts. Now it's much better But I know the old struts were on too long and damaged my power steering. I can live with it for a bit. But my PS is the next surgery I'm doing.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:26 PM

Mine been on since new they still are fine, it rides smother than most similar cars I rode in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long do struts and springs last?