Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

How important are struts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Default How important are struts?

I'm buying an eibach pro kit for 90 bucks with the camber kit. I am installing it with a buddy of mine who works in a shop doing these kinds of things all day long so it'll go good, the only thing is, I'm gonna use factory struts. Now I know I should be fine for a long time without aftermarket struts, but how long can I wait? 6 months? a year? Also, what could happen if I don't get new struts? Thanks for your help guys, I'm still young, but LOVE my monte lol any help is appreciated

Old 04-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: How important are struts?

so are they going out now?? like not the greatest condition??

if they're bad and you dont change them, they could take out the mounts obviously...then take out your new springs..then ball joints tie rods control arms...

if they're bad change them...if they're fine..then leave them alone...they should be ok on your car...but if they're not any good make sure you change them before you have to spend more money on stuff you dont want to spend money on

Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 PM

i have heard there are issuse with bounce when runing lowering springs on the newer montes. zzperformance.com sells something called pogo washers to eliminate this

Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 AM

Awesome deal on the Eibach springs dude!!!! As for struts its all about what your looking for man I am not claming to know all but i have been reserching this subject heavily for a while!! Depending on the mileage of your ride you might as well change the struts if you have it tore downchanging springsto prevent future isssues springs are pretty much lifetime like amillion mile warrenty on the eibachsbut the struts are what take the abuse, some say every 40,000 "monroe" to change the struts others a little higher depending on the brand!! Struts are what will help tremendously with the bounce or "pogo effect"!! KYB struts GR2's come 15 % stiffer than stock the AGX's will adjust 15% softer to 40% stiffer the OEM stuts!! You get what you pay for man

Old 04-06-2007, 12:55 AM

the pogo effect isnt from the struts... atleast not what people are calling the pogo effect... on the newer 00+montes and 97+ grandprix's the seat for the springs is not the best at holding the spring after lowering... so ZZP and a few other sites sell a plate that fits in and better secures the spring. again the hopping or pogo effect is not from struts cause the majority of people i have heard with this issue upgraded to new struts... its from the spring mounting plate.

i just got a set of eibachs a few weeks ago cheep on ebay too and i bought the full set of gr2 struts... they are in my kitchen right now waiting to go in! prob next week sometime. i cant wait!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:34 PM

glad soemone asked thsi as i still want to put in teh springs on mine and was thinking the same thing. I have good struts now but figure if i can keep what i have till i need to change them io would knowing that it would be for a upgraded pair of struts front and rear.

But dont need to ge tthe springs or teh strut on the car making it hard to handel

Old 04-10-2007, 10:04 PM

z34
I just ordered the pro kit and the AGX's and all 4 strut mounts!! This Bounce or pogo effect i heard can be fixed with the washer on the upper strut mount some how it got a differnt mount depth to keep proper tension on your upper mount is that what your reffering to?? I have not seen any reference to what the spring sits on are you referring to the upper bearing that the spring sits on?

Old 04-11-2007, 12:03 AM

dagrease22... where did you get the springs and struts? I need to replace the rear struts, while I have it ripped apart, I'm going to put the Eibach's on. This is on an 03' Monte SS..not sure what you have. I'd like to know exactly what you purchased. I did buy a set of aftermarket trailing arms for the car... might as well go all out.

I was kinda hoping to put an exhaust on first, however the rear struts decided it was time!!!

Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 12:31 AM

2001 ss
I payed full price for the Eibach Pro Kit spring set it comes with all 4 from tire rack like $232.00! I got strutsthe KYB AGX's from Sparkplugs.com for like $380.00 not sure if its a glitch but i got the rear shocks for like 62.00 each and the fronts were like 127.00 or so but that was the best price i seen on theme! For the strut mounts i got at Autozone they had 2 in stock fronts but they ordered the rear 2 they came in like 2 days later payed like 34.00 for each mount!! I will not replace the rear mounts unless i see they are bad but the fronts have a bearing so i will change theme! I have everything except the Struts they should be delivered tomorrow they shipped from Ca..... I will be posting before and after pics and i will take pics through the process ...
If you are changing therears you might want to consider the fronts as well I don't know the mileage but i will let you know what problems i run into..

Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 AM

The upperrear strut mounts on 2000 up montes is identical to the 95 - 99 lumina/monte. I changed out the rear struts and springs on my 95 lumina, but used the old strutmounts: big mistake. Within a week, i had to pull the struts out again to replace the upper mounts. The mounts contain a steel collar embedded in a rubber disk. Eventually the rubber wears out and the collar gets loose. If your are replacing the struts, save yourself the aggravation and replace the mounts too. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: How important are struts?