Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get the right stance?

  #1  
Old 07-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 21
Default How to get the right stance?

Here is a stock monte


and here is the way I like it.

what do you do to give it this stance? Is it just air shocks or what?
 
  #2  
Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 PM
STUMPMI's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Taylor Michigan
Posts: 9,944
Default

I'm guessing this isn't your Monte but an example on how youd like yours to look?

That is the stock standard ride height and stance IMO...
Unfortunately your 2nd pics link doesn't work... So I have no idea what your trying to accomplish...
 
  #3  
Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by STUMPMI View Post
I'm guessing this isn't your Monte but an example on how youd like yours to look?

That is the stock standard ride height and stance IMO...
Unfortunately your 2nd pics link doesn't work... So I have no idea what your trying to accomplish...

ya these are just example cars, not mine. Both pics work for me when I view the thread so I dont know why you cant see it.




Here is a direct link you can just paste into the address bar on your browser. I appreciate you insights.

chooseyouritem.com/classics/photos/4001500/4001630.1974.Chevrolet.Monte.Carlo.jpg
 

Last edited by STUMPMI; 07-17-2014 at 09:00 PM.
  #4  
Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 PM
STUMPMI's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Taylor Michigan
Posts: 9,944
Default



To me ...IMO...

I would say he merely used a larger sway bar to raise it up in the rear and the front is at stock ride height..
 
  #5  
Old 07-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by STUMPMI View Post


To me ...IMO...

I would say he merely used a larger sway bar to raise it up in the rear and the front is at stock ride height..
do you mean a sway bar from a different kind of car or were there different optional swaybars available?
 
  #6  
Old 07-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 21
Default

Heres another stance I like
 
  #7  
Old 07-17-2014, 09:26 PM
STUMPMI's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Taylor Michigan
Posts: 9,944
Default

Originally Posted by monte-cristo View Post
do you mean a sway bar from a different kind of car or were there different optional swaybars available?
It could possibly be a high performance sway bar... or an after market heavy duty one.
 
  #8  
Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 PM
ohara's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brockville Ontario
Posts: 3,052
Default

air shocks will have the effect your are looking for. I used to put them in all of my cars.

Another trick some people use (myself included on one vehicle) is to run 15 inch rims and tires on the back and 14 inch rims and tires on the front, it adds a small subtle drop when coupled with the air shocks. I do recommend getting an alignment if doing this.

You can also buy rubber spacer blocks that go at the bottom of the shocks where they connect, I have never tried these, but it allows you to keep your stock suspension if it is in good condition and you like the ride this may be the better alternative.

The main thing I enjoyed about the air shocks was the height was always adjustable pending you have easy access to an air compressor that has enough psi to raise the car, the down side is (from personal experience) make sure when you put the air lines in, or if you have a shop do it, make sure they use rubber grommets around the lines where they come in contact with any metal as it only takes a small crack in the line to lose all your air and your suspension will drop down, trust me on this one it happened with a 78 camaro that I owned, I was able to limp home but if I had my 12 inch wide tires on the back at the time I would have been stuck on the side of the road, thankfully it was still early spring and I hadn't put them on yet
 
  #9  
Old 07-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by ohara View Post
air shocks will have the effect your are looking for. I used to put them in all of my cars.

Another trick some people use (myself included on one vehicle) is to run 15 inch rims and tires on the back and 14 inch rims and tires on the front, it adds a small subtle drop when coupled with the air shocks. I do recommend getting an alignment if doing this.

You can also buy rubber spacer blocks that go at the bottom of the shocks where they connect, I have never tried these, but it allows you to keep your stock suspension if it is in good condition and you like the ride this may be the better alternative.

The main thing I enjoyed about the air shocks was the height was always adjustable pending you have easy access to an air compressor that has enough psi to raise the car, the down side is (from personal experience) make sure when you put the air lines in, or if you have a shop do it, make sure they use rubber grommets around the lines where they come in contact with any metal as it only takes a small crack in the line to lose all your air and your suspension will drop down, trust me on this one it happened with a 78 camaro that I owned, I was able to limp home but if I had my 12 inch wide tires on the back at the time I would have been stuck on the side of the road, thankfully it was still early spring and I hadn't put them on yet

good advice thanks. Did the air shocks affect your ride smoothness at all? Also, do you put them on the front also or only on the back? What size tires are best to get that stance? I was thinking 235 70 15 on all four wheels which is 27.95" tall. Thanks
 
  #10  
Old 07-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 21
Default

here is another one with the stance I like. what size tires do you think they are ?

 

Last edited by monte-cristo; 07-18-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to get the right stance?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.