Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

full brake install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default full brake install

Hey i have a 2000 LS and am in need of new brakes front and rear.

I have read through several posts and have 'pretty much' decided what i would like to put on. lol

Hawk HPS pads on the front:

http://www.r1concepts.com/CHEVROLET/...sDetail.htm/NA

Only problem is that i don't see a listing for these pads on the rear...

Are these pads going to have more dust than a ceramic pad, i was also recommended EBC Redstuff pads. Any good?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...n+%26+Steering

For rotors:
R1Concepts premium slotted rotors for front and rear

And ZZP stainless braided lines

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...ts1.php?id=655

For the install would i need a kit like this?

Also could the new pads and rotors just be put right on? with no need to machine of turn the rotors?

I had also seen on some posts about upgrading rotors in size for looks... I plan to put on 18"s and don't want a small rotor and a big wheel lol

What modifications need to happen to make a larger rotor fit?

One last note, does Brembo make any calipers for our cars?
Im not sure if these are a fit for our cars...
http://www.brembo.com/US/RacingProdu...D+COMPOUND.htm

Last edited by Jordanshedd5; 03-20-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Are these pads going to have more dust than a ceramic pad, i was also recommended EBC Redstuff pads. Any good?
Usually semi-metallic pads have more visible dust than a true ceramic.

I have EBC Redstuff on my monte, and I do really like them. I will say that the Hawk pads seem to be more popular though.

For rotors:
R1Concepts premium slotted rotors for front and rear
I hate R1 concepts rotors. I don't know anything about their premium stuff, but their normal line is complete garbage. From the problems with cracking I've seen on mymonte- and my own experience with them, I'll never buy any rotors from them again. That's just my personal opinion though.

Also could the new pads and rotors just be put right on? with no need to machine of turn the rotors?
You just install the new pads and rotors, and bed them in- pretty simple to do.

I had also seen on some posts about upgrading rotors in size for looks... I plan to put on 18"s and don't want a small rotor and a big wheel lol

What modifications need to happen to make a larger rotor fit?
Depends what upgrade you go with- you could do a GXP upgrade for 13" front rotors- or you could do one of the various other aftermarket brake upgrades. On an upgrade like a GXP setup- you're talking removing the caliper and rotor (which you're going to be doing anyways) and replacing them with the new parts.

Im not sure if these are a fit for our cars...
http://www.brembo.com/US/RacingProdu...D+COMPOUND.htm
I'd honestly stay away from "racing pads" on a street car. It would be different if you did a lot of autoX courses or a lot of drag racing or something, but for daily driver street car you're usually better off with a normal pad rather than something exotic- mostly due to longevity of the pads.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Hi Chad, just wanted to say thanks for all your helpful posts to member's.
It does not go un-noticed 4-Sure...We appreciate that you take the time to share
your automotive (Monte) knowledge : ) I've learned a lot from reading your posts.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:32 PM

If i wanted to upgrade the rotors in size, you said i would need to replace the caliper also? am i understanding that correctly?

Will upgrading in size cause any problems fitment wise with my current 16" rims?

If not f1 rotors would the best choice be something like powerslots? or what?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Default Bigger than the GXP upgrade?

I have found the GXP upgrade on ZZP's site
It would be 13" rotors front and rear.
However i was wondering if there was anything that would be bigger?
I recently Upgraded to 20" Wheels (not donk or ghetto or whatever)(looks clean and sports) and the 13" rotors are only a little bigger than the stock 12" up front...

NEW WHEELS AND TIRES!!!
SMALL BRAKES!!!

Attached Thumbnails full brake install-2010-12-07_16-31-08_624-compress.jpg   full brake install-2010-12-07_16-31-18_483-compress.jpg  
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 PM

Anything bigger is going to cost more than reasonably priced f-bodies. In my opinion The GXP's are expensive enough. But that's besides the point of interest. I think there is a 14" option out there or atleast there was but at the time it was almost a cool grand for the package.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 AM

I have and sell the GXP systems. Here is the kit on my SC MC SS.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Default Plans

Anything bigger is going to cost more than reasonably priced f-bodies.
I figures it would be more, a grand is a bit much.

The GXP came with 13 in front and 12 in rear... Is it possible to put 13's also on the rear?

@SSmokeybear, i looked through the two web sites in your sig and couldn't find any info on the upgrade or parts. i figured thats where i was supposed to look.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jordanshedd5
I figures it would be more, a grand is a bit much.

The GXP came with 13 in front and 12 in rear... Is it possible to put 13's also on the rear?

@SSmokeybear, i looked through the two web sites in your sig and couldn't find any info on the upgrade or parts. i figured thats where i was supposed to look.
I apologize for that, we supply the calipers to the W-Body retailers. The kits from us directly which includes everything are $750 for each axle delivered. Includes everything to install and drive away. If you are interested you can call us anytime.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Default Fronts to rear

If i upgrade the front brakes to gxp, can i put my 12" fronts on the rear to upgrade the current 11" brakes? The gxp's rears are 12's too.

Quick Reply: full brake install