Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Conversion to manual steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Conversion to manual steering

Would like to convert my power rack and pinion to manual. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket product or someone who does or makes this conversion for a 2007 SS.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 PM

I haven't heard of any. May I ask the reason? These cars are awfully heavy to go with a manual steering setup.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
15 Year Member

The reason for the need to switch is I changed the heads and intake on it and with the new intake I have lost all my clearance for the power steering pump and reservoir by about 3/4". Eliminating the power steering would eliminate the problem with a simple belt change and new rack. Thanks for the interest though, I have found someone in Ohio who does this kind of work and can easily make this change for me. I just have to consider whether or not I want to handle the car now with this change or do something else like make a custom intake to fit instead. Thank you. As far as the weight goes this car is nearly a thousand pounds lighter than the car I learned how to drive on and it never had power steering so I thought this would not be such a bad change.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:34 AM

custom intake is a much better option than to go to manual steering...its prolly cheaper too

Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by bahdeets
.........I have lost all my clearance for the power steering pump and reservoir by about 3/4". ........... I just have to consider whether or not I want to handle the car now with this change or do something else like make a custom intake to fit instead. ....... As far as the weight goes this car is nearly a thousand pounds lighter than the car I learned how to drive on and it never had power steering so I thought this would not be such a bad change.
Perhaps, but I've had cars without power steering and drove old dump trucks without power steering, lighter or not I don't want to go back. Remember driveways, parking lots, and parrallel parking become work. Road induced items transmit back to the steering wheel. Think about feeling the shake from a washboard dirt road or Midwest pot hole and tar crack infested thruway.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 PM
15 Year Member

Well the rack change is only $900 and I have no idea what a custom intake would cost but I am looking into that also. What I do not know anything about is the dynamics of a custom made intake and the changes that would have to be made to bolt a custom one on. How is it going to perform, how is the altered design going to hamper or improve the performance - I am just now begining my research but I will find out soon. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Pictures will help this out greatly.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:14 AM

a custom intake should b way less than 900

Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 PM

Yeah, I'm really confused too- what kind of heads and intake get in the way of the PS?

Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Yeah, I'm really confused too- what kind of heads and intake get in the way of the PS?
some custom intake that pulls air thru the front grill?

Quick Reply: Conversion to manual steering