Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Clunk and Hesitation issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Clunk and Hesitation issue...

Ok guy I could some help tracking the source of this problem that has been going on with my monte for well over 2 years now.

My car would clunk as if I'm having a miss-shift problem but I know it's not the transmission fault, it happens when I accelerating from a stop or when I'm almost completely stopped, the car would rev up a little but and a cluck would hit, sometimes it delays the Rpms sometimes it doesn't. I been trying to source it out as I know it's a mechanical problem not electrical.

I've replaced the hubs, axles and all engine/trans mounts and replacing the mounts reduced the severity of the clunk but it hasn't gone away. I'm wondering now on what else might be causing this? Control arm, struts, ISS, rack and pinion, ball joints, swaybar links or maybe even tierods but as of right now I'm clueless!

This doesn't happen when I'm turning only going forward in a straight line and happens more when I'm slowly accelerating rather than when i step on a little stronger. Like I said sometimes rpm delays too sometime not. It's not constant but it comes and goes and it's most defiantly the most annoying issue I've ever came across!

Any ideas?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's a toughie...

Your sure the trans is full of fluid? When was the last time you had a fluid filter change on the trans? Could be a shift solenoid...

I'm sure someone else will chime in with other ideas..

Old 04-14-2014, 10:02 AM

If it has a hesitation, check your plugs, or maybe your engine is jumping. My engine was jumping due to my motor mounts and once I fixed those, no more clunks. Also I recommend cleaning out your intake airbox, new filter, and cleaning your throttle body. Dont just spray cleaner in it, take it off and clean it with cleaner and a tooth bruh and a micro fiber towel and a SMALL cup of water.

My 7th gen had a clunk due to these issues and after doing a complete sea foam treatement, Gas,intake, and motor, changing motor mounts and my intake tubing, im now averaging 17-18 street and 28 highway on a 7th gen SS w/ no clunk or shifting issues at 92k

Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 AM

Transmission is brand new, less than 2 weeks old. Everything on it is up to spec including fluid level, haven't went over 3000RPM SINCE THE INSTALL.

Hiroska: I've done everything you mentioned yesterday. And I mean everything you just mentioned.

The clunk is still there...

Old 04-14-2014, 11:19 AM

5 Year Member

Maybe its backlash in the trans axle? Does it "Clunk" going from reverse to drive while sitting still? It could also be a bad torque converter...

Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM

No it doesn't clunk going to reverse. Torque converter is brand new but might be bad, the symptom might indicate it is a faulty trans issue.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:39 PM

But wouldnt replacing the trans fix the torq conv issue as the torq conv is within the tranny? correct me if im wrong ._.;

Old 04-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

It's a long shot, but your engine cradle bolts may be loose.

The torque converter is a separate part from the transmission. The internal parts of the transmission itself would not be replaced unless requested by the customer. When a transmission is rebuilt it is highly recommended to replace the torque converter.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 PM

I'm still leaning toward it being a bushing/suspension problem because this is been going for two years + now! Even when I original trans was in tip top shape and torque converter was in good shape that problem existed.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
It's a long shot, but your engine cradle bolts may be loose.

I'm in agreement with Mike.. (03SSLE)

Quick Reply: Clunk and Hesitation issue...