Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Brake and Traction Control Light ON

Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Default Brake and Traction Control Light ON

A very short while after driving yesterday (like 50 yards) my brake light and traction control light came on and stayed on. I got a message in the dic for "Service Brake System" "Service Break Assist" and "Service Traction Control"

I shut the car off, started it again and the lights were off, then about the same time after driving they cam back on with the same service message.

Drove the car home, with no problems. brakes worked fine. No stiff pedal, no extra pedale travel etc...drove around 50 miles. It did the same thing this morning, and still does not seem to have any operating problems, but the warning lights come on very shortly after driving.

About 3 weeks ago i had new tires put on and the shop mentioned some minor play in my left front wheel hub bearing, didnt get it fixed because I didnt have the funds after 4 new tires...could this be the cause? I have done some research and have read it is a possibility. I also came across speed sensors and other sensors shorting out that could possibly be the problem.

If i am changing the hub bearings myself is that a tough and lengthy job?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very much the cause. Common problem with these cars. Our sensors are sealed within the hub assembly. Your car is getting a reading every now and then that one tire isn't spinning like the others, so the traction control kicks on to try to fix it, but the system does nothing, so the car thinks something is wrong.

Not a terrible job to do yourself, some of the bolts can be tough, etc.

Get a quality Timken or ACDelco hub, or you'll be doing the job again in 6 months.

Here's a write-up about the job: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...ssembly-33657/

(note that your car might be a touch different since it is an 06)

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 AM

thanks for the fast reply! will it kill me to drive it till the weekend when i have the time to do it?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM

15 Year Member

Depends on how much play the tire actually has. If it's just a small amount, it shouldn't be too bad, if it's a lot of play, you could damage something.

Just take it easy if you have to still drive on it.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM

When i got home...i checked my master cylinder reservoir and it was a tad low (though not a lot). Topped it off and warning lights gone. I guess the fluid had dipped one time below the sensor at some point in the past few days. I imagine it happened when i had the trac control off in the snow going up a hill a few days prior. I had my pops check the play in the wheels and he didnt seem to think i should be concerned with (he use to be a diesel mechanic, not just an old wise guy haha)...hopefull that will fix the problem. we shall see.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM

15 Year Member

Fluid low should only trip the red BRAKE light, trac off and abs will just probably be temperamental, just keep an eye out for the hub.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 PM

Oh i definitely will and Thank you for your help.

I do not feel anything abnormal while driving. Anything i should watch for?

I never got an abs warning light just the "brake" light. And traction control.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If your brake fluid level was low I would take the vehicle to a shop and have the brake system inspected at your earliest convenience. It could be a sign of a more serious problem heading your way in the near future. If no leaks are detected I would have the system purged with fresh fluid. Over time brake fluid breaks down and the heating/cooling creates condensation (water) to form in the system. This in turn will lower the boiling point of the fluid and can cause brake fade. The water will also promote deterioration of the brake lines. It's a good idea to freshen the fluid every 4-5 years.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Fogertyb
I do not feel anything abnormal while driving. Anything i should watch for?
You would hear a noise with the spinning of the tire on the freeway when it starts to get bad.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Cool 2004 Monte Carlo ss

I have a few concerns which are starting to arise in my 04' monte. Today was the last straw & where now my concern begins. My BRAKE light came on, I checked to see if I had in fact put my E brake on & it was in the upright position, I was driving for about 20 seconds when this happened. Now keep in mind that I bought this car USED from a less then reputible company (not aware at that time) and the 1st day that I bought it, my traction slipped & has continued to do so since then both on & off wet, dry, snowy roads. I did take it to pep boys for a read out & changed a single sensor, which i cannot remember which one at this time. Needles to say NOW my ABS LIGHT continues to come on when i turn left, SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM light is also coming on, which i understand they are 1 in the same system, i feel my traction slip at times. Alot of the things that had been happening initially stoped and then again started once I had put on my 20 in chrome rims, I dont know if this has anything to do with it but I would like someones advice on what it may be. I have read possibly a speed sensor,actuator module or brake fluid, would that sound right? Oh, my car drives perfectly fine though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake and Traction Control Light ON