Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

-> BeWare of Inflation <-

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:51 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up -> BeWare of Inflation <-

Pat Goss, MotorWeek's resident master technician, helps consumers understand car problems and how to speak the same language as their technician. As cars becoming increasingly complex, fewer repairs can be accomplished at home. Effective communication with a repair shop is vital to keeping consumer and operating costs under control. From rattles and squeaks to leaks and drips, Pat covers a myriad of issues designed to keep cars on the road and out of the repair shop. Stop by to see `Pat and take him to lunch...He loves car's & food : )

Beware Of Inflation
Pat Goss

Unfortunately many drivers don't pay a whole lot of attention to their tires, and that means that they could be riding around in a dangerous situation. You see, tires are our only connection between the car and the road, and if they aren't properly maintained - and that includes tire pressure, which is one of the most important things that you can do - you could be driving very dangerously.
Now, the old test of looking at the tire to see if it looks under inflated: no, that doesn't cut it anymore. You actually have to measure the pressure, at least once a month. You need to get your tire-pressure gauge out and check the pressure when the tires are cold.
But what is proper pressure? Well it's not what's on the side of the tire in most cases, and it's not some generic setting. Actually, the proper tire pressure setting comes from a decal that's typically inside the driver's door. With some cars it may be in the glove box or console, and on others it'll be inside the fuel filler door. Whatever, you adjust the pressure to the manufacturers specification. That's what gives you the safest car. Now if you want to get a really good pressure setting, this is called a Cyclops. It has two hoses on it so you adjust the pressure either up or down in two tires at the same time and it gives you an exact setting. Pretty neat tool.
All right, now, lots of you, 80 percent or more of you are driving on under-inflated tires. Now if you look at this tire right here, look at the tread, it looks like brand new. You wouldn't think there was anything wrong with it, yet if you go inside it we have hands-full of rubber that has disintegrated from the inside of the tire. This is from driving just a few miles with it about ten-pounds under inflated like this tire is right now, and had it gone a little bit further, well this is what we would have had, and believe me this is not fun

It only cost time 2 check your tires, and it could save your life & others....When was the last time that U checked your tire pressure ? Go do it NOW lol

Old 05-11-2009, 05:58 AM

Additional Links on the Subject for Member's to Check `Out
Proper Tire Inflation will not only save your Tires, get you max handling + best MPG's & also save your life & others on your
Highways of `Life.

Be Tire Smart – Play Your P.A.R.T. - Proper Tire Inflation

The tire inflation pressure for your vehicle is very important in providing you with safe driving and a fuel efficient vehicle. The key to correct tire ...
www.betiresmart.ca/inflation/index.asp?printVers... - 14k - Similar pages
http://www.betiresmart.ca/inflation/...loc1=inflation

Proper Tire Pressure For Better Mileage : TreeHugger

Keeping your car's tire pressure at the optimal level is a small and easy ... not to exceed the maximum inflation pressure noted on the tire. ... Proper tire pressure provides for better handling and vehicle control. ...
www.treehugger.com/files/2005/06/proper_tire_pre... - 64k - Similar pages
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005...r_tire_pre.php

Tire Safety, Brochure (DOT HS 809 361 October 2001)

The proper tire pressure for your vehicle is referred to as the "recommended cold inflation pressure." (As you will read below, it is difficult to obtain ...
www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/TireSafety/ridesoni... - 27k - Similar pages
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../brochure.html

Proper Tire Inflation

Proper inflation is the single most important factor in tire care. The tire sidewall displays MAXIMUM pressure - based on MAXIMUM load capacity of the tire. ...
www.nitrogentiremachine.com/proper_tire_inflatio... - 11k - Similar pages

Last edited by Space; 05-11-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:03 AM

Space, you are killing it with helping people with tons of information! you do a good job and would like to say thanks for all the helpfull links you put up just for no reason(im being serious) Space 'da Alien!(You da Man) lol

Old 05-11-2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by sonin66
Space, you are killing it with helping people with tons of information! you do a good job and would like to say thanks for all the helpfull links you put up just for no reason(im being serious) Space 'da Alien!(You da Man) lol

Hi `Chris,
I really appreciate your kind words 4 -Sure.
I have to thank my grandfather & his senior Friends that taught
me by example to help others in `life.

I've learned that I would rather help others, then hurt them..
I hope it's contagious/addicting 2 others
"We Share, cause We Care" on the MCF : )

I sure think it would help be a better World 4 `all.
Now, go check your air pressure in your `tires : ) lol

Thanks again `Chris 4 being a active contributing member
to our Monte Carlo Friends Forum.
4-Sure

Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Another thing, i was working on my car, and had to grab the jack out of the trunk this weekend, and I had a little reminder.

When checking the air in your tires, don't forget about your spare in the trunk!!! it needs to be like at least 60 PSI, mine was at 30... that wouldn't help me much if I ever get a flat. So I filled it back up.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 AM

Hi `Mike, another great point to check...Thanks 4 posting/sharing...U R a man of detail...& that's very important point ~> 4-Sure....
Tires are our only connection between the car and the road, and if they aren't properly maintained - and that includes tire pressure, which is one of the most important things that you can do - you could be driving very dangerously.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

that's something that i never think to do unless i have to go fill them. i'll have to make that one of the things i check when i clean the wheels, since i do it so often! thanks guys

Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's just recommended you check the tire pressure at least once a month. Tire pressure also effects your MPGs... so it's just a 2 minute job and could potentially save you a lot of money

I visit my parents once a month, and my dad has a nice air compressor (carpenter) so I check and fill while there each time

Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

has anyone tried nitrogen, sorry for the long post, i did the copy and paste thing, thanks, i used it in my previous vehicle!!

Why Nitrogen?

It's what the pro's use

Nitrogen is a dry, inert gas used by racing professionals and industry to inflate race car tires, airplane tires, off-road truck tires and military vehicle tires to name a few. Why nitrogen? Three critical reasons: nitrogen makes tires perform better, last longer, and function with a greater degree of safety than tires inflated with standard compressed air.

Enhanced safety

Because nitrogen maintains proper tire inflation, your tires maintain greater control and grip - in all weather conditions. Grip and control are everything when it comes to the safe transport of you and your family.

Better fuel mileage

With improved tire inflation, comes improved mileage. You can save as much as 5% of your gas costs. Checked the price at the pump lately? This can make a big difference.

Longer tread life

Because nitrogen is a clean, moisture free gas, it slows down internal tire oxidation which slows down the aging of your tires. This results in a benefit to the environment by reducing the number of waste tires going into landfills.

A tire is a membrane

Compressed air - The traditional medium for inflating car tires - contains both oxygen and nitrogen. A rubber tire works a lot like a membrane - and oxygen permeates this membrane three times faster than nitrogen. As the oxygen slowly leaks out through a tire's rubber walls under-inflation takes place. This leads to faster tire wear, reduced gas mileage and importantly, decreased safety and control of your vehicle.

Improper inflation

Tire inflation largely determines a tire's load capacity. An improperly inflated tire operates at a high deflection - meaning that the tire's load capacity is compromised and with it comes decreased fuel economy, sluggish handling and excessive mechanical flexing and heat build-up. Heat build-up can lead to catastrophic tire failure and dangerous loss of control.

Proper inflation

With nitrogen, proper tire inflation is maintained for longer periods of time. With proper inflation you get improved gas mileage, improved tire life and most important, improved handling and the peace of mind knowing that this critical detail has been taken care of.

Nitrogen tire filling is simple, accessible and very affordable

Instead of just checking the tire pressure-ask to have the tires checked and re-inflated with nitrogen. You will be pleasantly surprised at the minor cost difference-especially when you consider the major safety and cost improvements that nitrogen delivers.

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 05-11-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

30psi is about right isnt it?

Quick Reply: -> BeWare of Inflation <-