Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Better handling please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:31 AM
Default Better handling please!!!

So my first car was a 1997 Chrysler Sebring convertible with 155,000 miles. I liked it, my first car and all, but it completely broke down a year later. Then I bought my 2003 Monte Carlo SS with 54,000 miles, LOVED IT! The ride is so much smoother, the handling so much better, and the power, there is so much more power! Recently I rode in my friend's 2006 Impala LS, only 3,000 miles on it and the ride was INCREDIBLY SMOOTH! I want to get that smoothness in my car. I've also noticed the steering in my car is getting looser, usually on new cars it's very tight, the slightest turn in any direction and the wheels turn too, since my car is aging now the steering is getting looser. How can I fix this? And how can I get the car to ride smoother? I've heard shocks/struts and swaybars, but what kinds? Any more info would be helpful, thank you.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pop your hood, is there a strut tower stabilizer bar on your car? (it looks like your diagonal cross braces on both sides, but it's on the top parallel to your engine cover)

If you don't have one of those, look into getting it. Strut Tower Brace (STB), they are usually called. That will decrease the "roll" you feel when you turn. It's night and day, they also sell them for the rear and it goes in your trunk near the amp, that will help your roll in the rear, but just the front should be sufficient.

What else do you want in terms of handling? What tires/rims do you have? that helps. Did your friend have 16" and you have 17"? He'll have more rubber and will feel smoother. Was his PSI in his tires set to 30 PSI where yours is at 33?

Or if you want to just JUMP into better handling, find out how to safely lower your car, and just drop it 1.5"

Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

wanna ge crazy and redo it all...balljoints,tie rods wheel bearings, but at tha point your lookin at an alignment and alot of labor

Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Pop your hood, is there a strut tower stabilizer bar on your car? (it looks like your diagonal cross braces on both sides, but it's on the top parallel to your engine cover)

If you don't have one of those, look into getting it. Strut Tower Brace (STB), they are usually called. That will decrease the "roll" you feel when you turn. It's night and day, they also sell them for the rear and it goes in your trunk near the amp, that will help your roll in the rear, but just the front should be sufficient.

What else do you want in terms of handling? What tires/rims do you have? that helps. Did your friend have 16" and you have 17"? He'll have more rubber and will feel smoother. Was his PSI in his tires set to 30 PSI where yours is at 33?

Or if you want to just JUMP into better handling, find out how to safely lower your car, and just drop it 1.5"
Strut Tower Brace eh? And it decreases roll? So that means the car won't lean so much on sharper turns? My rims are the stock 16 inchers, I'm not sure what he had on his impala. And currently my tires are all set to 30PSI, the back right one keeps losing pressure, so as soon as I can I want to upgrade the tires, BF Goodrich seems to be the most recommended brand. Can't some high sport struts help in handling/ride comfort? I want to increase them both without sacrificing the other, although ride comfort is slightly more important.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:09 PM

15 Year Member

start with the STB, it's probably $20-30 for it. (mine came from the factory... so I'm not too sure of the price)

Be careful though, because the 3.8 has a different one then the 3.4 so watch carefully what you are buying.

As for the tire losing pressure, do you just have a nail stuck in it? Any shop for like $5 can plug it for you and you'll be good to go, if you keep running it on a lower pressure it's going to wear fast and you'll have to replace it quicker.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
start with the STB, it's probably $20-30 for it. (mine came from the factory... so I'm not too sure of the price)

Be careful though, because the 3.8 has a different one then the 3.4 so watch carefully what you are buying.

As for the tire losing pressure, do you just have a nail stuck in it? Any shop for like $5 can plug it for you and you'll be good to go, if you keep running it on a lower pressure it's going to wear fast and you'll have to replace it quicker.

Yea, I know about the difference. Anybody interested in one, just message me.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Only $30 for a STB? And that helps with lean? I've seen them on a few Montes before, looks simple to install, could I do it myself?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:29 AM

15 Year Member

completely.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 PM

To tighten the steering up, I'd look at your tie rods to see what kinda shape they're in. Usually just replacing the outer tie rods ends fixes a lot of that slop. They're cheap and easy to install, but remember that you'll need an alignment when you're done.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 PM

Yep, your tie rod ends are going to be pretty crucial for the looseness in steering.

As far as the ride smoothness, you'd be surprised how fast shocks seem to wear out. The difference in struts after 60k miles is almost unbelievable.

You don't realize that your struts are wearing out that much since they wear over time, but the minute that you change them (or ride in another car with a fresh suspension) you'll notice a huge difference.

-Riggs.

Quick Reply: Better handling please!!!