Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

best brake upgrade for the $$

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default best brake upgrade for the $$

Hey guys my next project is upgrading my braking system, so i come to you guys who have them installed to see whats best. I was looking at the zzp dual piston brake upgrade with slotted rotors and hawk hps pads, seems like a decent deal although i think the rotors are overpriced. any other suggestions you guys can think of? Im weary on buying drilled/slotted rotors because im afraid they will crack as the holes are drilled after the rotor is molded instead of the holes being created while being molded like the porche rotors are. anybody ever have issues like that? Ideally i would not like to go over 500 bucks for the whole thing, as i would do the labor myself. Just wanna see what companies or brand anyone has had good experience with. definately wanna go with a dual piston setup though. Also saw a setup at wbodystore too.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Default RE: best brake upgrade for the $$

I think $500 is gonna be tough. I would add stainless lines, too. They make a tremendous difference.I have drilled rotors and have no problems, although I would go with slotted ifI did it again, just to keep from worrying about cracks.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

rchurch beat me to it.

stainless steel brake lines. Just after that you will feel a major difference. (if labor isn't annoying and you don't mind it taking time) Maybe you won't need to then go for a different caliper or anything. Do the brake lines, see how it feels.

Then start pricing out rotors and get ceramic pads. You may not need to upgrade as much as you think to get your braking better.

If you are looking to save money, I would keep your calipers now. Get new pads for them, and the rotors.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

I completely forgot about stainless braided brake lines. thats a must. I just figured for the price i saw at some places, upgrading to dual piston calipers isnt all too expensive, its the rotors that cost the most. The only good thing is that i've heard of some people not doing a brake job for 50,000 miles once they've upgraded to slotted with hawk hps pads....so i guess the money pays off a little. anybody have suggestions on where to get good stainless brake lines, and if its a complete kit? if it isnt, what else do i need to find?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

In the Stratus coupe world I heard great things about R1 Concepts rotors. They are inexpensive and seem to hold up extremely well. Many members of 2gStratus.org have sworn by them you may want to check them out.

I priced some out for you, Slotted only E-line series rotors and Hawk HPS pads. The total was $314.01.

http://www.r1concepts.com/

Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 PM

15 Year Member

Add in a ZZP stainless steel brake lines for $100 to that $314.01 and you are under your $500 mark.

Plus you'll want to throw in some high temp paint, and paint the part of the rotors that the brakes don't touch, because those WILL still rust, just not as fast as OEM (black looks really good)

Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

WoW! i've been looking for an alternative to powerslot rotors for a long time because i think they are overpriced, and these will work great. $314 bucks for all 4 slotted rotors and hawk hps pads make me feel like im ripping someone off compared to what i've priced powerslots out at before haha. this is definately the way im going to go, probably gonna buy in the next month. after i get these and the stainless brake lines from zzp i will re-evaluate the need for upgrading the calipers to dual piston. If i do decide to go with the dual piston caliper swap, the rotors and pads will still work just the same correct? those calipers dont require a different size or anything right? sorry, dont know my brake systems all that well.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 PM

15 Year Member

If the rotors are 11" then the dual pistons will not work.

it says right on ZZP:

For Wbody's already equipped with 12" rotors, this calipers will drastically increase stopping power.
For older Wbody cars with 11 inch rotors, you will need to upgrade to 12 inch rotors to use these calipers.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

on the 00-05 monte carlos, they have stock 12" disks on the front, so i have no problem there. like it says on zzp (12" front rotors (oem for 04+ GP and 00+ Impala, 00+ Monte Carlo)

they must be talking about the 5th gen on that i think, not sure though. my 03 is covered anyways. I have ordered everything i have upgraded my car with through zzp except the springs and struts, so i trust them....but is there any other place that sells a similar dual piston kit for our car at a better price? the only problem i have with zzp is that they give no breaks on the shipping, ever. like the company and trust there parts though, so i guess its worth it. just wish they would offer free shipping every once in a while for larger $$ purchases.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM

15 Year Member

well since you know the pistons will work on your car after you change everything, I would say do the rotors/pads/brake lines and see if you still want the calipers if you can't find them cheaper anywhere. Since you'll be able to just swap the calipers later on.

Quick Reply: best brake upgrade for the $$