Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

5 x 4.5" (114.3mm) --> 5 x 115mm

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My 20's are 114.3 bolt pattern and they ride soo smooth, im running hub centric rings with them as well
and hopefully wont have any problems in the future

i also had 20's on my yellow Ls, same 114.3 pattern and never
ran into any problems. had the car for about a year :p

Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i've seen like one total problem with 114.3... and that's the thread you posted... there's so many other aspects that could contribute to his problems though.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 PM

You must have missed this:

Originally Posted by IffyG
That being said, my personal opinion is the people that run into trouble end up there because they have wheel hubs on the high end of the tolerances and wheels on the low end and it's just enough to cause an issue...
I don't advocate using the wrong bolt pattern, but I feel that the statement above explains why some people have zero issues with 5x114.3 wheels and others (like the guy I reposted) bust wheel studs left and right... Ultimately, it's up to the individual owner and I prefer to allow folks to make an informed decision rather than just toss out an "it'll be fine" response.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member

You must have missed this:

I don't advocate using the wrong bolt pattern, but I feel that the statement above explains why some people have zero issues with 5x114.3 wheels and others (like the guy I reposted) bust wheel studs left and right... Ultimately, it's up to the individual owner and I prefer to allow folks to make an informed decision rather than just toss out an "it'll be fine" response.
you should quote who you're responding do... idk if you're talking to me or frank lol

but obviously someone should know that they may run into potential problems when they run a wheel with a different bolt pattern, they just need to be smart enough to know that it will happen but there's ways to help keep it from happening (hub centric rings)

Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
you should quote who you're responding do... idk if you're talking to me or frank lol

but obviously someone should know that they may run into potential problems when they run a wheel with a different bolt pattern, they just need to be smart enough to know that it will happen but there's ways to help keep it from happening (hub centric rings)
hub centric rings and torque your lug nuts down correctly

Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 AM

Hub centric rings have nothing to do with using the wrong bolt pattern. All they do is make sure wheels with a larger center bore seats on your hub properly. You should really use them with any aftermarket wheel that doesn't have the correct bore, but you absolutely have to use them with 5x114.3 to make sure you don't add any additional stress to the studs.

Obviously, I'm in the minority on this forum... I'll just shut up now...

Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

its really hit or miss. Some wheels with 114.3 fit and some dont. Ive tried 3 differnt wheels with a 114.3 on the Monte and 1 fit..( the ones in my sig).. I ran thoes wheels for 3 years no problem. It comes down to the offset and other aspects of the wheels if there going to fit. I tried my 114.3 wheels on my 300 which also runs 115 but the wheels from the Monte doesn't even come close to fit(which was expected). As the wheel base on the 300 is way bigger and you need a bigger offset on the rwd platform I believe. More facts on the 300 is that you cant really run the RWD wheels on the AWD car even though there the same wheel with same bolt pattern(people have put them on the AWD but its hard without some slight modification etc).. offsets are way different.. Just some extra fyi's...

Last edited by jaws2008; 05-17-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member

Hub centric rings have nothing to do with using the wrong bolt pattern. All they do is make sure wheels with a larger center bore seats on your hub properly. You should really use them with any aftermarket wheel that doesn't have the correct bore, but you absolutely have to use them with 5x114.3 to make sure you don't add any additional stress to the studs.

Obviously, I'm in the minority on this forum... I'll just shut up now...
You just contradicted yourself.

Hub centric rings will center the rim so there is less stress on certain studs, which has to deal with using 114.3 x 5 on a 115 x 5 bolt pattern.

That's what we're getting at.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Hub centric rings will center the rim so there is less stress on certain studs, which has to deal with using 114.3 x 5 on a 115 x 5 bolt pattern.

That's not what I was told. The centric rings center the wheels so its "centered" and wont hop or osolate causing vibration etc. it has no effect on studs. I ran 2 years with out them on my 114.3 wheel till I got new tires and the place I got the tires from required me to get them to install tires. But I never had a problem with out them. My normal shop told me most do not even use them anyway.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM

There is no contradiction in my statement. Running hub centric rings ensures your wheel seats properly on the hub. My aftermarket wheels (5x115) were sold with hub centric rings because the center bore is much larger than the wheel hub. Hub rings do not (and will not) ever correct for the wrong bolt pattern, they just minimize the probability you will seat the wheel wrong and stress the studs (the same purpose they serve when using the correct bolt pattern).

Quick Reply: 5 x 4.5" (114.3mm) --> 5 x 115mm