Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

2005 MC SC Brake Upgrade Questions (F-Body)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2005 MC SC Brake Upgrade Questions (F-Body)

OK first. This section (suspension) should be labeled Suspension/Brakes.

So I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my SS. Now I own a brake company so I am very familiar with brake systems but I do not want to spend $5K + on brakes for this vehicle. It just does not need 6 piston calipers in front with a set of 4 piston calipers in the back. I read a little about the F-Body upgrade and there are SOME specifics but not all that are needed to have someone get everything they need and get it done without any frustration. So I am posting the question here and will take all that information and put it into one place with pictures and part numbers. So far I have found only one post stating that the best place (most affordable) to get the F-Body calipers with needed brackets is from Carquest. I will take this information and look for other suppliers to compare value and quality. But no one has stated the machining if any that needs to be dome to the spindle to mount these brackets/calipers.

in addition it was only touched on about the size of the rotors needed for this upgrade. i have a couple of sources for rotors so depending on what rotor is needed will reflect on what is used on my application. In this case cheapest is not the best. I have already found a HUGE variance in cost for replacement rotors for the MC. From $30 a rotors to more then $450 PER ROTOR.

Ok so now for you guys to assist with your years of experience that I do not have with the Monte Carlo. Please post any and all information you have in regards to this F-Body ( or any other type of upgrade) for the Monte Carlo.

Thank you in advance. and if you do post please check back in on this thread as I already know I will have questions for you after you post.

Tom

Old 04-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: 2005 MC SC Brake Upgrade Questions (F-Body)

what i think i'm about to do, and what some others have done, is get drilled or slotted rotors. the stock rotors warp real easy. i'm still researching this topic myself though.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:39 PM

ZZPerformance F-Body Kit. Get Powerslot rotors, HPS pads, and call it a day. Took me 2 hours to do the entire front of my car, including bleeding, and stainless brake pad upgrades.

-Keegan

Old 04-18-2008, 02:43 PM

https://montecarloforum.com/m_86688/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Old 04-18-2008, 02:55 PM

Any questions on slotted rotors, call Ken at Powerslot:
818-709-4944. option 2. great guy.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:55 AM

i went with the d/s rotors from rotor-pros. came with 4 rotors and pads for about 400. did the install with stainless lines in about 2-3 hours. HUGE difference in stopping power and the pedal is much firmer. Also painted mt calipers red to match the pin striping on the car.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:20 PM
15 Year Member

ORIGINAL: Chucks88SS

i went with the d/s rotors from rotor-pros. came with 4 rotors and pads for about 400. did the install with stainless lines in about 2-3 hours. HUGE difference in stopping power and the pedal is much firmer. Also painted mt calipers red to match the pin striping on the car.
Elaborate on D/S rotors please. IN addition what SS lines did you use and for what application did you purchase them for?

I am working with Performance Friction directly as I know a few guys there. I am not big on the "inexspensive" rotors that are out there. Will be recieving a complete set of Brutestop parts here in the next couple of week to experiment with. We ran this type of system on the Impala SS and really helped. In adition we have an older 930 that we run the PF set up on with excellant results under racing condiions. o in the next several weeks we will be able to write something up.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 AM

Drilled and slotted rotors from rotor pros. its crossdrilled and slotted. As far as SS lines i went with the Russel lines that are DOT approved. It helped with my pedal feel, it was a soft feel, now it has a firmer but drivable touch to it.

http://rotorpros.com/index.htm

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...nes-p-174.html

Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 AM
15 Year Member

ORIGINAL: Chucks88SS

Drilled and slotted rotors from rotor pros. its crossdrilled and slotted. As far as SS lines i went with the Russel lines that are DOT approved. It helped with my pedal feel, it was a soft feel, now it has a firmer but drivable touch to it.

http://rotorpros.com/index.htm

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...nes-p-174.html
Excellent. I was courious about the SS Line length. That answered my question. I also wonder if anyone has tried the Power STOP rotors. I would also like to know if anyone is having ANY warping/cracking issues with their current set-ups and what rotors are warping or failing in any other matter.

Thank you!

Old 04-21-2008, 02:33 PM

you mean power slot? or power stop?

Quick Reply: 2005 MC SC Brake Upgrade Questions (F-Body)