RWD Tech Guides '70-'88 Guides/How-To information for RWD Montes 1970-1988

Mod Guide: Removing the computer from your 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM

Budsjlm,
I have one question about the lockup kit. Would I need it for the 82 Monte with a 267 2bbl. I know it is a small engine but at least it will get me around till I can get a 350 for it next year. I bought a new intake from Auto Zone along with a double banger (sigh) without the computer connections to it along with the alternator that was bad. I am taking out the EGR that is towards the back close to the HEI. With that in mind is why I am asking if I need the lock up kit. Thank you for the help and anyone's input as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM

I have noticed over time with my 87' LS that the drivability and gas milage are suffering. It is a bone stock 305 and i have been looking around for solutions. Could this be a computer problem where it richens the mix with added throttle? It's getting to be a big problem and could potentially put me in danger if i need to stomp on it. I was wondering if removing the computer and replacing the carb and distributor might solve that issue. Also with removing the emissions gear would that mean i need to replace the heads as well or could i plug up the air holes?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM

I have the same exact car and I put a Holley 600 with adapter on my stock intake, a cheap HEI, headers, and a 6 dollar EGR block off plate on the stock 305 and completely did away with all the computer and emissions. Of course, where I live, you can get away with it. It's an older car and as long as it's not real loud and it's mechanically sound they don't pay much attention. Some places won't let you pass inspection unless your car is emissions compliant so you may want to check your local laws before you do all that. I also changed my transmission to a TH350, so I didn't have to worry about the TV cable that has to be hooked up and adjusted properly on a stock 200-r4. You can plug the EGR pipe holes in the stock manifold with pipe plugs if you can get the pipes fittings loose. Mine were so rusted I would've had to drill them all out, so I just bought a set of Flowtech headers. I had to grind down a lip on my upper control arm on the passenger side for the header to fit, and on the drivers side, I had to grind down the lower control arm a little bit for header fitment. You don't have to take much off, it didn't hurt my car any. I threw a rod in the big 305 when I got it all working good so now my Monte's sitting out there with no motor in it, I got a 350 in the garage I'm getting ready to drop in it. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 PM

This did help a lot. I will be sure to try that being it is cost effective. I did discover yesterday that part of the reason for the bog is that the timing might a bit out of wack as i have a missfire. Not only that, but a few months ago, i was just driving home on the highway and the check wngine light popped on. I looked at my gauges and the oil pressure had dropped dramatically. I had no idea why as i just changed the oil and it wasnt leaking. I thought either the sensor was bad or the pump was going but over time, it seemed to be stable at about 30 psi. Yesterday i looked at the dipstick to find coolant spots in the oil. Soo now i might have a major problem on my hands. I wont over react until i change the oil again which i plan on doing here soon.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:59 AM

Never had a 4th gen (or dealt with CC carbs) but definitely a great writeup. I do plan on getting a 4th gen but I don't plan on keeping the carbed setup (modern EFI will be waiting for it). But I always like to learn and maybe I can help someone else with it.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM

Just. removing the computer alone will not net you any HP or torque gains. If you choose to go with an aftermarket hei distributor w/ a hot coil it will be. an upgrade from stock and offer a more complete burn with the ability to burn a larger amount of fuel with each spark. A good 600 or 650cfm 4bbl Carb will help deliver the added fuel and air to the cylinders. Generally Edelbrock is the way to go, they seem to run better right outta the box and require little tuning, although most people think that if you want to tune then Holley is the way to go. By the time you pay $20 to $30 for an adapter from spread bore to square boors or 2bbl to 4bbl your better off getting an aftermarket intake off Craigslist or a swap meet for $40 or $50 or less. No need for an adapter or egr blockoff plate. Headers are the same. You can try and get all the air injection crap outta the stock manifolds or just get a set of short or long tube headers new for $130 or less at most parts stores.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 86monteSS305
sweet good stuff. great write up. seems fairly easy, is this worth doing on a stock 305? wat kinda power gains am i looking at
If your looking for a NOTICEABLE power gain, get a custom computer chip. One that is made for performance. This way you can keep your car running good, pass emissions, and have very little effect on current gas mileage. In some cases it may get better mileage. I can burn you one. Let me know if your interested.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:30 PM

someone took my comp. wiring and taped up all the ends and stuffed into the fenderwell on pass side and you can't even tell it unless you really look. the lockup still works for the tranny. left the map sen. and baro modual in place to sort of hide the wire routing into the fenderwell

Old 07-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Default Nice

Just ripped the ECM out of my 84..had success at first but had problems with my carb. Got a used one and the guy said that he had rebuilt it. Not true. Rebuilt it and runs great. Still had to modify some stuff. My heat riser valve was stuck closed and caused my carb to run hot and boil fuel. Other than that, my car goes really fast now. Was always adjusting my CCC and never could get it to run right. So far so good.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:49 PM

The car I bought, an 88 LS has the computer removed and an Eldebrock Carb and HEI dist, installed.

How and where do I set the timing, by that I mean is does it set like the older SBC and where is a good number to start with. 8 degrees BTC as an example.

Also how do I tell for sure the lock up is working?

Last edited by testcase448; 08-10-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Mod Guide: Removing the computer from your 4th gen