RWD Tech Guides '70-'88 Guides/How-To information for RWD Montes 1970-1988

Restore Guide: ***Inner Restoration***

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Exclamation ***Inner Restoration***

Que tal, les comparto la restauracion de los paneles interiores, los cuales en este caso son de plastico, tienen una antiguedad 27 años, por lo que estan algo deteriorados.

Hi, I would like to share with you my interior panel restoration. In this example, they are 27 years old plastic panels. A bit old and deteriorated.

Lista de materiales a utilizar. List of materials.

1.- Lija fina (no les pongo numero de grano, ya que depende de que tan maltratados esten los paneles). Fine Sandpaper ( the grit depnds on the condition of the panels ).

2.- rellenador plastico (plaste) Plastic Filler

3.- Cuña de goma Spreader

4.- Thinner Thinner

5.- Trapo Rags

6.- Carton o periodico News paper or cardboard

7.- Pintura duplicolor vinyl & Fabric del color de su preferencia o bien como mi caso elegi el color original. (Blue medium) Duplicolor Vinyl And Fabric Die. ( Your color will vary. Mine was Med Blue )

8.- Detergente en polvo Powder laundry detergent

9.- Cepillo de cerdas de plastico Paint Brush

Comencemos......... Lets begin

1.- Aqui los paneles y parte de los materiales. Here we see the panels and part of the supplies.

En esta foto podemos apreciar el kick panel, ya pintado, pues en el hice la prueba, la cual me agrado mucho. Here we can appreciate the finished kickpanel. This was my "TEST PANEL" to see my results. I love it.

2.- Lavamos los paneles con agua y jabon ayudandonos con el trapo y cepillo, con esto nos aseguramos de remover polvo y grasa pegada. We start by washing the panels with soap and water using both the rags and brush to get in all the crevices. This will insure that all dust, dirt, and grease is removed.

3.- una lavados y secos, los lijamos y aplicamos el rellenador plastico en las areas dañadas por rayones, desgaste, etc. volvemos a lijar hasta dejar liso. Once washed and dried, we start to sand and fill the damaged areas due to scratches and gouges.

4.- Una vez que lijamos y quedaron a nuestro gusto, debemos limpiar con un trapo humedecido con thinner todos los paneles y ahora si aplicamos la pintura. Once you have sanded the panels to your taste, they need to be cleaned with thinner. Use the rags to wipe them down. Now its time for the Duplicolor.

Aqui notamos la diferencia. Here we can see the difference.

**Observacion: No use promotor de adherencia ya que segun la pagina web de duplicolor este producto ya contiene dicho promotor, más sin embargo no es mala idea aplicarlo, solo recuerden que sea de la misma marca ya que de usar otra, puede reaccionar con la pintura. *SIDE NOTE* I did not use an adhesion promoter since the Duplicolor web site mentioned that it alraedy contains an adhesion promoter. Though its not a bad idea to use some anyways. I recommend using the same brand due to a possible reaction with the paint if another brand is used.

Amigos espero se animen a realizar este trabajo en sus MC, es muy sencillo. I hope i inspired some of you to repair your Monte Carlo interiors. Its real easy to do.

Last edited by The Popcorn King; 06-18-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Translated.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow. Incredible results. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

This is a great write up. I hope some of you guys decide to do it to your Montes.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Default Inner Restoration 2

Thank you very much for posting and translating.

Continuacion de la restauracion de paneles interiores. Continuation of the Interior Panel Restoration.

Estas piezas son complemento de los paneles mostrados anteriormente. El proceso es identico al anterior por lo que ahora solo les mostrare la secuencia fotografica. These are the rest of the pieces that of the interior. Only this time its the rear panels. The process is the same as the bove mentions, so i will only post the pics.

Aun quedan cosillas minimas que restaurar en lo que a plasticos se refiere, me queda pendiente una muy buena chamba, la de restaurar los door panels. All that is left are a few small plastic piece. All thats left, is the Door Panel restoration.

Last edited by The Popcorn King; 06-18-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Translation
Old 07-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Default none

this is great info. what should i do if the panels are so deteriorated that some of the fake stitching is gone or has holes?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

You could try patching it from the back with fiberglass.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by emacmonte
this is great info. what should i do if the panels are so deteriorated that some of the fake stitching is gone or has holes?
You could first try to unite the broken parts, having done this, you must paste a section of cloth and the resin applied to him, once the resin hardened, you can apply the fiberglass.

I share photos and illustrative of how to apply the resin over the cloth.

these photos are making of the hat rack of my Sentra.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 AM

Wow looks really good. I need to do this to some pieces on mine. How does the dye hold up on the wearing parts, like the armrests on your rear panels?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by Rick81Monte
Wow looks really good. I need to do this to some pieces on mine. How does the dye hold up on the wearing parts, like the armrests on your rear panels?
Just use adhesion promoter before applying the paint, once painted reapply adhesion promoter.

Good Luck

Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM

wow, incredible job.

Quick Reply: Restore Guide: ***Inner Restoration***