Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

SOOOOO Close! Yet SOOOOO far away....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cobra's are nice cars bumpin.. but cobras have one MAJOR problem with racing. They wheel hop REALLY bad due to our IRS (Independent Rear Suspension). I really just want to find one to use it as a comparision to my LS. Ive raced SS's before and know how bad I got walked on. I want to try to compare this car to my LS. Only reason why Im looking for an SS.

As for the Supercharged SS's or the newer ones... I really think they would be able to give me a decent run for my money.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I don't see the point in bothering with a 240 hp FWD when you've got 80 more horsepower, its obvious you're going to win. A 300 hp car would be a bit closer, but you still have a 20 hp advantage and the RWD traction advantage- so that isn't really a fair match either...
I guess then you're saying I should stop looking for a Smartfortwo at a stoplight that wants to run ?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 AM

i have a link bar set up in my mustang but thats why i have my monty as a dd. i have a great deal done to my mustang gt it is just under the mark of a fully built cobra engine wich is a quad cam 4 valve compared to my 2 valve. my 2 valve is just under a 1000. the paper work for the dyno i did in va said it sits at 880 and 860 at the wheels. thats before the supercharger that i put on. right now it is sitting so i can find a dyno place so i can dyno tune it properly i dont want to super lean the motor i want to make sure every thing is hitting there marks.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:22 PM

what kinda times did the older cobras run? i know they had that bad batch that they first put out that didnt make the power they said they were making. and then they supercharged them but what did the na ones run once they straightened that whole thing out? and as we all know in a street race the higher hp car doesnt always win.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 03-02-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Bone stock:
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT
0-60 - 5.4 seconds
1/4 Mile - 13.9 seconds

The 99 had the problem, they did about 20HP less than what they said. They recalled, people brought them back and had some parts swapped out so they werent restricted and got a tune. After the recall, they were put back up to the 320.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM

and as we all know in a street race the higher hp car doesnt always win.
No, but more power, less weight, and more traction never hurt

Plus, the manual trans should bring drivetrain losses down to help negate having to spin the driveshaft too.

Definitely would be a closer race than I thought though...

The 99 had the problem, they did about 20HP less than what they said. They recalled, people brought them back and had some parts swapped out so they werent restricted and got a tune. After the recall, they were put back up to the 320.
I think that would've been an odd thing to get the ball rolling on- how do you tell your dealer that your car is dyno'ing lower than it should be? I wonder if they found out by doing a wheel dyno and estimating losses, or if someone actually pulled the engine out of their brand new car and put it on an engine dyno?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:50 PM

the people who had the 99 mustang cobra were being beeten or being kept up to with the regular gt with intake and exaughst. stock mustang gt has a 3.10 rear stock exaughst and intake making 286about 260 to the wheels the cobra has the same rear end but better breathing and better of the two motors. side by side fully built and super charged the two valve sits a mid to hundred less than a fully built supercharged 4 valve 4.6 v8 but they are quick as h#ll just changing the intake and better exaughst on both motors. learned that with my 2 valve and my neighbor learned that with his 4 valve as well.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 PM

but i miss when the big coupes like the monte being rear wheel drive. but i cant complane its a dd just wish there were a better market out there for it like the older gens like the 6th and the 4th in a way for the fouth gen. besides that have you noticed there is barly a aftermarket for the 5th and 7th gen expecially for the ones who have the3.9

Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 AM

the problem was, the monte never broke into the "street racing" scenes. When it first came out, it just never tried for that rep because of the success of the camaro at the time.

as for the GT's beating 99's, yes. Pre-problem, the cars were dramatically under-rated and weighed more because of the IRS instead of the SRA.

I still think any of you guys with boost could give me one hell of a run, PLUS probably pull of a win. Plus, probably paid less for your cars than I did for mine. :-(

Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by vita
the problem was, the monte never broke into the "street racing" scenes. When it first came out, it just never tried for that rep because of the success of the camaro at the time.

as for the GT's beating 99's, yes. Pre-problem, the cars were dramatically under-rated and weighed more because of the IRS instead of the SRA.

I still think any of you guys with boost could give me one hell of a run, PLUS probably pull of a win. Plus, probably paid less for your cars than I did for mine. :-(
i dont think the gts could beat the 4v no matter what. the 4v outpowers it by a ton. theyre 2 different animals. you ask me the 2v is a pig. i drove one for quite a while and was far from impressed. i did like the car though. hey man worry not. that 4 valve youve got is worth its weight in gold and im sure you could find a factory blower on ebay for a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: SOOOOO Close! Yet SOOOOO far away....