Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

My night at the drag strip (MUST READ)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: My night at the drag strip (MUST READ)

eh, i think i'll pass on pinks.... i know you like my monte, but you're not going to get it that easily..... i know i'm slow, i know you're fast.....

Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 PM

Yikes. Glad to hear you and your Monte made it through in one piece. I haven't ever had a close call like that so far on the drag strip. I don't understand why they pitted you against a dragster. I don't know how they do it at other places, but at Portland International Raceway the pro street and dragsters have their own seperatelanes (the loud cars as the announcer puts it) and then everybody else get the rest of the lanes. If you are racing a street vehicle, you are never pitted against a full blown drasger or pro street vehicle. Next time you are at the track, I'd ask the offical that pulls you out into the staging area to not be pitted with pro street or dragster vehicles.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:01 PM

5 Year Member

this place does that... they just set 2 cars up and go, whoever is next in line. its just a small time drag strip, only about 4-5 street cars were even there out of like 50-70 cars

Old 11-13-2007, 05:04 PM

I saved mine as well last month. The guy in the left lane started to loose it and swerved over my way so I left off. Still ran a 14.8 with him crossing into my lane a bit.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 PM

Ok, this is confusing me. Cowboy, you report a 10.12 at 69.9 mph or so...

My Time slip, with my best quarter of 15.60 the 1/8 is 10.147 seconds (Im not sure, but think this is my best 1/8th time of the day)
at 70.3 MPH...

Now, a N/A (naturally aspirated) SS with the 3.8 is reported to have like 210 at the crank. I don't see how you're car is even close to mine, must less two hundreths quicker. I mean... I'm not like trashing your car, I like your car.... I just don't see how an exhaust and a tune got you better than my 242 at the crank. Does your slip have 60 and 330 foot times?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 AM

When you raced yours at the drag strip, did you spin a lot? Bad weather or what? Because I've raced a 96 Mustang GT that runs 15.1-15.2 all day in the 1/4 and I was ahead of him before the end of a 1/4 and we raced a couple times and samething happened everytime. So I don't know.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM

5 Year Member

the timeslip is posted in our timeslips section, along with an old one from before i had the PCM tuned.

Reaction: .357
60' (or T1): 2.236
330' (or T2): 6.535
E.T: 10.116

I was trying to get my tires low enough taht I could just floor it off the line, this time I forgot to do that and just "leaned" into the throttle, the next two times were in the 10.2's, and I got a really good take off before that car cut in front of me and basicaly ended that run.

Mike, I hate to bash you or your driving, but it may very well have been that I'm a little bit of a better driver than you. It looks simple, but ti really is a tecnique to getting a car off the line fast and without burning the tires down. It could be that my tires hooked up better than yours. It could be that our drag strip is grippier than yours. Could be lots of things... Mike I don't know what it is, but my car really did run this time, and if you want proof I can try to take a picture of the slip ,but it won't come out well and my scannerisn't worth #(!@&%!

Steven, my tires did spin a lot. One time I even got it off thel ine pretty well and the tires broke free somewhere between 10-15 mph.... i know my tuning got me a ton more torque because I can spin tires with the traction control on anymore where before it would MAYBE chirp.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

Ok, this is confusing me. Cowboy, you report a 10.12 at 69.9 mph or so...

My Time slip, with my best quarter of 15.60 the 1/8 is 10.147 seconds (Im not sure, but think this is my best 1/8th time of the day)
at 70.3 MPH...

Now, a N/A (naturally aspirated) SS with the 3.8 is reported to have like 210 at the crank. I don't see how you're car is even close to mine, must less two hundreths quicker. I mean... I'm not like trashing your car, I like your car.... I just don't see how an exhaust and a tune got you better than my 242 at the crank. Does your slip have 60 and 330 foot times?

There is too many variables to assume the difference between the two cars.. his 1/8 mile might be strong but his 1/4 might show a drop in a couple tenths.. you just can't tell.. his time seems close to what i would expect it to run..

Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 PM

As 1977Monte says, so many variables. The weather, traction. Heck I know on these little cars, if you spin the slightest bit, your dropping a few TENTHS! Heck one time up in Indiana on a colder night we were running a solid 7.75. The last pass we jacked around with the clutch to make it bite harder. Well we spun and ended up running a 8.03. Getting off the line is the key...

Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Duane's time:
Reaction: .357
60' (or T1): 2.236
330' (or T2): 6.535
E.T: 10.116

Mine:
Reaction: .764
60' 2.355
330' 6.641
1/8 ET 10.147 (70.30 mph)
1/4 ET 15.606

Duane, I trust you, you've got nothing to prove, no real reason to lie about it. I guess at first glance I was surprised, but now that I break it down and think about it a bit it kinda makes sense. Ihad a lot of trouble keeping traction. You can really see that in the 60' time, I'm over a 10'th slower there.While I wasn't burning them (well, if I was WOT it would have), but you could tell it wasn't gripping 100%... guess that's what I get for using the stocker goodyear's. And by my reaction time you can tell I'm not much of adrag racer, this was my first day, only second run -ever- onany track. Duane, I'm assuming you probably have something a bit grippier than stock goodyears on yours, rite?

Neither of us did anyweight reduction, and I have a 150 pound system in the back (heavy **** box, two 10's), I've heard 100 lbs is worth a tenth? dunno if that's right...

Guess I need to get my car tuned! lol. On analisys though, I can see that at 60' I'm behind.119, then at the 1/8th I'm only behind by 3 / 100ths. So once I gained enough traction, and could go WOT, (AFTER the 60' mark) I'm actually accelerating faster. Too bad you don't have a 1/4 mile track in ur area, we'd probably be very close at 1/4.

Quick Reply: My night at the drag strip (MUST READ)