Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

LTZ-2....GT-0

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default LTZ-2....GT-0

Blew away my second (Mustang) GT this weekend. Those things are horribly slow in stock confirguations.

We both were gunning our engines at the light.

I turned off my traction control and pressed on the gas and brake and waited for the torque converter to just lock.

Even though I spun the tires, we took off together, but when he clutched to go into second, I jumped 3 car lengths ahead.

By the time I got to the next signal, he was just a spec in my mirror. He was smart to back down.

At the next signal, I justfeathered it and let him zig zag through the cars and race ahead of me. I was already happy with my victory.

You just have to pick your battles here in L.A. Most guys after they loose want to start playing road warrior and race you through traffic for a hundred miles.

I say that is just asking for bad trouble and I just let them go. One victory every few days is very satisfying for an old guy like me.

I had beat another GT earlier this year 3 times in a row off of back to back to back signals.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Default RE: LTZ-2....GT-0

ya stangs are crap...except for the 03-04 cobras which are crazy fast when modded

nice kill

Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Yellow_Monte

ya stangs are crap...except for the 03-04 cobras which are crazy fast when modded

nice kill
Thanks, yeah I am very selective on who I race. I like to prey on Mustangs, Solaras, Mitsubishis, Hondas& other weak 2-doors. I have a rule that I never go against 4-doors. Its beaneath me (j/k).

My friend wants to race me in his Lexus IS350, but at 300 hp and prolly a few lbs. lighter, I might not be a good match for him. I told him I don't race 4-door cars and he just smiles.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM

[align=center]Wow, `Grandpa Dave, your 3.9 is way faster then mine : )[/align][align=center]I haven't raced a Mustang GT, but I've driven my friends & his is[/align][align=center]way faster then my 3.9 -242HP.[/align][align=center]Did you Mod yours ?[/align][align=center]I don't think I would street race my friends Mustang GT, but[/align][align=center]I would @ the drags in Orlando. He's running in thelow/mid 13-teens[/align][align=center]@ 107-110 MPH [/align][align=center]and his only mod is exhaust & CAI.[/align][align=center]

[hr]

[/align][align=center]When we G-Tech'ed my 3.9L, 0 -60 MPH was 6.5 sec- mid 14's@ 93 MPH 1/4 times[/align][align=center]I don't know how accurate G-Tech is ?, but above was the average : )[/align][align=center]I think my friends GT would Smoke me [X(]unless he missed a shift or [/align][align=center]fell asleep on the line : )[/align][align=center]I know my LT3 isn't a performance car, but it's quick 4 what it is & has.[/align][align=center]Grandpa Dave, I think yours is the exception to the rule : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

[hr]

[/align][align=center]The MotorWeek article Test on 05Mustang GT Claims[/align][align=center]The new Mustang GT is definitely fast, delivering a 0 to 60 time of 5.2 seconds; only 1.4 seconds slower than its supercar sibling, while the quarter mile rocks by in 13.8 seconds at 103 miles-per-hour. [/align]

[hr]

[align=center]My friends GT is faster then that. My 3.9 isn't [X(][/align][align=center]I wish it was [X(], but it isn't [X(][/align][align=center]Grandpa `Dave, you have a rare extra fast LTZoom : )[/align][align=center]I wish mine was as fast as a Mustang GT[/align][align=center]or that I knew your driving tips.[/align][align=center]
Fortunately, there is another GT that is much more affordable, the Mustang GT. From our earlier tests, it's clear that the all-new 2005 Mustang GT offers more of everything that we've always savored in America's original pony car, and that includes the return of something that we've really missed, namely the classic Mustang long hood styling. Those classic looks are wrapped around a tight new chassis that offers both modern levels of rigidity, and a multi-link update of Mustang's traditional solid axle rear suspension, and in true GT fashion, a big V8 engine. [/align]But here too Detroit iron has evolved with the times. It's a 3-valve per cylinder version of Ford's 4.6-liter all-aluminum single-cam V8. It's not the GT's supercharged monster, but with 300 horsepower and 320 pound-feet of torque on tap, it's still serious American muscle!
Manual and automatic transmissions are available, both with five speeds. We naturally gravitated to the manual. And that's the combination that we used to put the Mustang GT through its track-style paces at Savannah, Georgia's 2-mile Roebling Road Raceway. To say that we had a blast is an understatement! The new Mustang GT is definitely fast, delivering a 0 to 60 time of 5.2 seconds; only 1.4 seconds slower than its supercar sibling, while the quarter mile rocks by in 13.8 seconds at 103 miles-per-hour.
[b]The 4.6-liter V8 pulls hard off the line and out of corners. The power band is wide and flat, but throttle response and delivery are very smooth. It'

Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

nice kill grandpa dave

now go do one of these

i dont know if i shoulda made another thread about this...but saturday morning on the way to work..i pull out of my driveway and there's a traffic light like right after you get on the road...then about a 1/4 mile up th the next set...and i had a cadilac with the 4.6(i think??) it was about a 99-02 range cadilac pull up beside me and they're staring over at me...so i'm like what the heck...this could be fun...we both took off...i spun the tires for an instant but the whole time i think i had about a 1/2 a car and then at the end about 1 car on him...dont know if these are faster than mustangs...or if he had it done up (the outside was) because i haven't had many problems beating mustangs..but this was actually kinda close and fun

thats what it looked like..but it was just a 2 door and all done up on the outside anyway...and when i followed him another day it said 32valve northstar motor on the back...so i'm not sure whether thats a 4.6 or a 4.9 motor...can't remember...but still a fun race

and after that i did this

Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 AM

[align=center]Mod Wiz Kidd SSvs STS Cadillac [/align][align=center]2dr's Eldorado[/align][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][align=center]2005 Cadillac STS[/align][align=center]
Program #2404
recent years, Cadillac has reinvented itself with new products, a new attitude, and a new look. But to keep buyers coming in, Cadillac must go beyond the angular lines that have become their bold trademark and offer products that are constantly improving under the skin. So let's look at Cadillac's new 2005 STS sedan, and see if America's top luxury brand is still moving ahead.
And moving forward is what the 2005 Cadillac STS luxury sedan is all about. But moving forward can sometimes require you to move backwards; or at least move your drive wheels backwards. The all new STS is built on GM's rear wheel drive Sigma platform, which it shares with the CTS sport sedan and SRX luxury utility. It's the first rear drive Seville since 1980, and is intended to give the STS more of the Euro driving dynamics that so many trendy luxury buyers demand. But if you want more than that, the STS can also be equipped with all wheel drive; a first for a Cadillac sedan. The all wheel drive system is similar to the one used on the SRX. It combines three open differentials with four wheel traction control and delivers a 40/60 front to rear nominal torque split to maximize both dry weather handling and foul weather traction.
Power for the new STS is also shared with the SRX. It begins with a 3.6 liter 24 valve V6 engine. Output is 255 horsepower and 252 pound feet of torque, thanks to variable valve timing and a dual stage variable intake manifold. But the more popular powerplant will no doubt be the latest 4.6 liter dual cam Northstar V8, with 320 horses and 315 pound feet of torque. It also includes variable valve timing, a high flow induction system, as well as an electronic throttle. Both engines feed power through new 5 speed automatic transmissions. They include manual shift capability, and Performance Algorithm Liftfoot technology, which continuously alters shift patterns to maximize acceleration. And it uses GM's new keyless Smart Remote Start ignition. We tried both powertrains during our initial testing near Santa Barbara, California and were quite impressed. The V6 pulls surprisingly well from low rpm, and displays an impressively flat power band. Things get a little noisy at revs, however, as the V6 uses all its punch to move the STS sedan's 3,857 pound bulk.
The Northstar V8 however, is the picture of refinement, easily hauling even the 4,230 pound all wheel drive model up to speed. The 5 speed transmissions in both cars were crisp and responsive, with the V 8 sprinting from 0 to 60 in 6 seconds without effort. The STS sedan's Sigma chassis is carried on a short/long arm front, and multi link rear suspension, with standard StabiliTrak active handling system, Nivomat load leveling shocks, and available Magnetic Ride Control which, in turn, rides on a choice of 17 or 18 inch aluminum wheels. Those wheels take directions from a new variable ratio rack and pinion steering system. A faster ZF Servotronic system is included with the optional Sport Package.
In all forms, the new STS is a very tight, capable car, with a much more athletic feel than its predecessor. The German tuned chassis is nimble and responsive, with rear wheel drive models displaying a noticeably quicker turn in than the heavier all wheel drive versions. But given the more luxurious nature of the STS, the feel is softer than the CTS and most of its European competition.
[/align][align=center][b]Go Wiz

Old 04-03-2007, 10:27 AM

1992-2002 Cadillac Eldorado Road Test
Updated: 10.05.2006[/align]

Consumer GuideĀ® Road-Test Evaluation
Despite the car's weight, Eldo acceleration is brisk with the original 4.9-liter engine. Dropping in one of the Northstar engines turns performance from brisk to nearly blistering--especially in Touring Coupe form. Cadillac claimed that both Northstar engines yielded 0-60 mph acceleration of 7.5 seconds, or nearly two seconds quicker than the base V8. No engine is economical. We averaged 16 mpg in a Touring Coupe and 18 mpg in a Northstar-engined base coupe. Computer Command Ride, which adjusts according to speed, delivers a secure road feel. [/align]
[hr]
[/align]http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...eldorado-1.htm[/align][/align]

Old 04-03-2007, 05:54 PM

I don't know Space why these GT's were so slow. But I can take a good guess and assume that the 5-speed manual which they both had takes too much shifting for the 1/4 mile.

I bought my car as a rental return from Arizona. Maybe the car was chipped differently but it has no mods that I know of. It may have been broken in very hard and drives that way.

It is hard to come up with a reason why the ol' brown girl is so quick.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:43 PM

GPD & Space: I think if you got 3 car's on them just because they shifted, it was some kind ofgranny shifting. Or new enough that it's so tight you can't do anything better. Depends, if it really had the 300 horse motor then they weren't using it to its' full potential. Can't you tell the v8 rustangs by the extra headlights in the middle? Well, that's one way I have heard anyways.

I raced a guy at work that drives a V6 rustang with a performance borla exhaust and a CAI, and it was a manual, and I still wasted it. By common measurements it should have a good 20 horse on my car, but then again he could have been babying it.
I think he was kind of embarrased because his car was just screaming away (Borlas areLOUD at WOT)and I still pulled ahead quiet as ever, lol. He hasn't really said anything about it since.

Maybe it's just the spirit of the MC refusing to be beat?

Oh, and my only performance mod at this time is a drop-in K&N Air filter. Get one, you will love it. I'm seeing as much as 30 MPG highway! Before the K&N I NEVER saw more than 26MPG all highway.

Sometime I'm going to buy a weekend tuner slot when the local drag strip opens and time it with and without the traction control, with and without launching with the TC. (like you did GPD)

And Space, why not try? besides getting a ticket and all, wouldn't it be killer if you won? and if you lose no big surprise right, just a game of numbers. If your friend is mature enough he won't rub it in excessively or brag about beating a 6 cyl with his V8. I mean I'm all for the track thing... but sometimes the guy in the other lane doesn't care about a track... and you cant just give it to him, right!? That's like when I had the 03 LS, I had a kid with an older 3.1 beretta race me, it was an easy win, but still fun. Actually later down the highway they tried to do a fly by. I noticed them a few cars back and was able to speed up quick enough to shut down their attempt... that got the heart going, I ended up finally getting in the left lane (his lane) about 2 car lengths before smacking some blue hair in a Neon.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:25 AM

[align=center]Fly`in`high-er : )[/align][align=center]Thanks 4your post, I EnJoyed : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I've already learned the hard lessons of racing on the street, when I had my Honda V-tec [/align][align=center]I'm still paying 4 it in so many ways[X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I love rac'in, but I can't afford the risk or the consequences $$$$'s of rac'in on the streets, but I still will at the track to see what it will do[/align][align=center]and to race my friends. $10 @ the track is[/align][align=center]so much better then $ Thousands in Court +[/align][align=center]auto insurance : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Now `if I had a SS, I'm sure that I would lose my[/align][align=center]license or end up in jail : ) [X(][/align][align=center]Ibelieve that my LT3 is not a performance made car, but a personal touring coupe with super/decent [/align][align=center]power from the 242HP -3900 V-6 : )[/align][align=center]Great Engine Power through out the power band : )[/align][align=center]with a great suspension & brakes.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Keepthe membersinformed on you street confrontations & the positive results : ) [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Got 2 go 2 Work 2 make the payments...[/align][align=center]Be Safe/Smart/Fast & a Winner,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/2188E4800EBF4ACD84A1C5FC11EB7245.gif[/IMG] [/align][align=center]Hey, Want 2 Race. .[sm=gears.gif][sm=gears.gif].. OK, 3-2-1[/align][align=center]______________________________________[/align][align=right][IMG]local://upfiles/714/25D6D44709474973B6DEBB1F42F2A19A.gif[/IMG] [/align]

Quick Reply: LTZ-2....GT-0