Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Ifo

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by P343
LOL There are people out there that are much better at racing and have much more experience.
I can only go by what I do and how my car reacts. As far as equipment, nothing special is really required to race. The faster and more consistent you want to be the more money you spend!! LOL
I read this somewhere but not sure where:
Cheap, fast, reliable...PICK TWO!!
OK Ms. Sidestep.......................lol

-Race in 3rd not Drive Explain Why?

-turn off traction control this one (I kind of know but) Explain Why?

-do not power brake-launch from idle Explain Why?

How do you want to launch??

It's kind of like if you want to do the bootlegger turn you need to disconnect your anti lock brakes.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

These answers were what I do with the 02 when I race it..not the 84. Completely different set-up
-Race in 3rd not Drive Explain Why? I have heard it is not as hard on the transmission

-turn off traction control this one (I kind of know but) Explain Why? Traction control actually applies some braking in order to keep the wheels from spinning. So to reduce the stress on the braking system , it is best not to have it on.

-do not power brake-launch from idle Explain Why? Again, this reduces the stress on your braking system plus decreases heat build up in the torque convertor if your opponent decides to take their time getting staged. Now this is just from MY experience but I saw no difference in my 60 foot time whether I power braked or launched from idle. So why create heat and stress when you don't need to?! Might be different if my car was not bone stock.

How do you want to launch?? From idle as stated above.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by P343
These answers were what I do with the 02 when I race it..not the 84. Completely different set-up
-Race in 3rd not Drive Explain Why? I have heard it is not as hard on the transmission

-turn off traction control this one (I kind of know but) Explain Why? Traction control actually applies some braking in order to keep the wheels from spinning. So to reduce the stress on the braking system , it is best not to have it on.

-do not power brake-launch from idle Explain Why? Again, this reduces the stress on your braking system plus decreases heat build up in the torque convertor if your opponent decides to take their time getting staged. Now this is just from MY experience but I saw no difference in my 60 foot time whether I power braked or launched from idle. So why create heat and stress when you don't need to?! Might be different if my car was not bone stock.

How do you want to launch?? From idle as stated above.

Ok, that all makes sense. As I indicated before I did this in the 70's with a manual transmission and didn't have these issues to deal with.
So does anyone still run a manual transmission? Back then I race Fords Dodges, Plymouth's several had the 440 in a GTX, 1 Hemi and I walked all over them. I had no problem beating the Auto's of the day. The thing that beat me on occasion was the Tree. We didn't have any electronic ignition back then so we would need to change out the Points, Condenser and Plugs. So after this one run these fellows show up and are checking out my Chevelle and the guy says that thing really runs for an Automatic. I said it isn't and Automatic, he is like yeah right. Well I'm under the hood changing points and I just said look inside. He was shocked, he said you shifted like the Auto............ I was being a smart a** and said no! Better than that. lol

Old 11-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2015
1 Year Member

My friend was saying he thinks I would smash in the imports but I don't know as those cars are a lot lighter. Plus I've heard now auto is the way to go and are now faster than the manuals. Now 10 years ago that wasn't the case

Old 11-08-2015, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by tweek
My friend was saying he thinks I would smash in the imports but I don't know as those cars are a lot lighter. Plus I've heard now auto is the way to go and are now faster than the manuals. Now 10 years ago that wasn't the case

Can you test your ride prior to this and see what it does and then spy on some of the Imports to see where they are running and then decide??

. Plus I've heard now auto is the way to go and are now faster than the manuals.
Depends on who the driver is?

Old 11-08-2015, 04:06 PM
1 Year Member

It's bracket racing so I'm just gonna show. But once a month at the track they do friday night drags run what you brung

Old 11-08-2015, 05:39 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

You can still find out what you run with bracket racing. They usually give you a timed shot or two and then you decide by those timed runs what you and your car will run. Then you put your dial in (estimated time) on the car and head into eliminations.
I, personally, am not in to heads up racing because my cars are consistent, not fast...LOL I think in the two years I have been racing I have a total of 9 kills (heads up wins)...LOL
Friday night run what you brung is fun because it is basically another test and tune for me. I use them to work on my reaction times because if you are not on that tree, you are done before you ever get started!!
Autos are really the way to go these days unless you are REALLY good at shifting. There are a few people out there that you would swear they had an auto and they are manual. But they are rare.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:05 PM
1 Year Member

We hooked up the monte to the torque app but the numbers were inflated it said my max hp was 312

Old 11-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by tweek
We hooked up the monte to the torque app but the numbers were inflated it said my max hp was 312
That is awesome, hope your close to these numbers. Why would they be inflated? Not the correct app for your particular model of car?

Old 11-08-2015, 10:54 PM
1 Year Member

Inflated cause we were getting on the freeway and the on ramp was downhill and it was reading 551