Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

First trip to the track this year

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Default First trip to the track this year

Hey guys, I know I've been absent from here for a while, but I got to the track last Firday night for the first time since last summer. My previous best time was a 16.08@83mph back in August I think.

The car is a completely stock 2000 SS with 177,000 miles now. No bolt ons what-so-ever, and stock engine and tranny, with 2 bottles of the Lucas Auto Trans saver stuff in it. My tranny was basically shot last fall, but this stuff actually works. It brought her back to life and has shifted good since then. I know I shouldn't be racing it with a worn out tranny like it has, but I had to see what she'd do in some cooler air. It was 42degrees when I made my passes.

Anyways, all I wanted was to dip into the 15's, and I accomplished that.

R/T... .608
60'.... 2.302
330'....6.613
1/8.... 10.244
MPH.... 68.16
1000'....13.340
1/4.... 15.953
MPH.... 86.12

This was from a dead idle after a decent burnout, and she only spun (chirped) a little halfway through 1st gear. I wanted to push it harder, but with my bald hankooks up front I couldn't hook it. When I tried a 2200rpm launch it spun its face off all the way through first and halfway through second gear. The track was very cold, but with some good tires I think my times would improve considerably.

Not too shabby for a car with as many miles as mine has. I'm actually thinking about selling my 1989 Trans Am GTA I just got done restoring, and modding the Monte up a little bit. The GTA just doesn't drive like the old girl does...

Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: First trip to the track this year

not half bad at all..... drag strips are just slicker than regular roads for some reason, i have trouble hooking up as well.

let us know when you start modding your car to make it faster... nad post your times again

Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 AM

Good job breaking into 15s... with a 2.0 launch (do-able on street tires), you drop another 6 tenths off your time, putting you below 15.5.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: lav74

Good job breaking into 15s... with a 2.0 launch (do-able on street tires), you drop another 6 tenths off your time, putting you below 15.5.
Do you mean getting my 60' time down to 2.0? or launching at 2k rpm?

Seeing mid 15's out of a stock N/A 3800 isn't very common is it?

Old 04-09-2008, 12:28 PM

mid to high 15s is about stock for a NA 3800 w-body... most don't launch a 2.0 60' time, so they end up with closer to 16.

I've seen some as highinto the 16s,still with a decent launch. Either they were carrying stereo equipment, needed to take a huge dump, or required a definite tune up on their engine. LOL

Old 04-09-2008, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: lav74

mid to high 15s is about stock for a NA 3800 w-body... most don't launch a 2.0 60' time, so they end up with closer to 16.

I've seen some as highinto the 16s,still with a decent launch. Either they were carrying stereo equipment, needed to take a huge dump, or required a definite tune up on their engine. LOL
haha, actually I am way overdue for a tuneup myself. If I decide to keep the Monte, I'll try getting some good gripping tires, perform some basic maintenance, and take her back before I do any mods. Do you have any suggestions for a real good gripping street tire? I've always had problems hooking up the monte from a stock, even when these Hankooks were new.

I guess I should change the oil too cause I'm 4,000 miles overdue... [:'(][:'(]

Old 04-12-2008, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

not half bad at all..... drag strips are just slicker than regular roads for some reason, i have trouble hooking up as well.

let us know when you start modding your car to make it faster... nad post your times again
Hmmmm... I have seen you make this statement a couple times now? What makes you think dragstips are slicker than roads? The dragstrips I go to have a LOT more traction than any road I know of! So much so that if you dont tie your shoes up tightly they will get pulled off your feet. I've been drag racing since 1998 and have been to strips all over the u.s. and Canada.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: RedZed

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

Hmmmm... I have seen you make this statement a couple times now? What makes you think dragstips are slicker than roads? The dragstrips I go to have a LOT more traction than any road I know of! So much so that if you dont tie your shoes up tightly they will get pulled off your feet. I've been drag racing since 1998 and have been to strips all over the u.s. and Canada.
Yea, I couldn't agree more. Gateway here in St.Louis is very sticky. I can stomp my car from idle and not get the slightest hint of tire spin. On the street it'll spin all the way through first gear until it hits 2nd.

The problem with this run is that it was cold, and I ran right after some idiot put his mustang into the sand trap. 45 minutes of no running+45 degree weather= very cold track.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:43 PM

congrats man, glad to see you got the times you wanted!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:28 AM

Debo,
Are you talking about midnight madness at gateway?
if so, that track was HORRIBLE!! temps were in low 40's and it was damp. They are having one comming up here soon and hopefully the weather breaks...

Quick Reply: First trip to the track this year