Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Cutting a 9 with a n/a 3800!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cutting a 9 with a n/a 3800!!!!

Alright. I would like to clear up one thing as I type this. I was tempted not to post it as somebody will call shenanigans on these numbers. I was very very very tempted to just keep it as my littel secret, btu I decided to tell the news to the forum.

Last night some friends and I went to the drag way (with some friends from college even coming up to join the rednecks and I) to do some racing. I decided ot take my car out for the first time since March.

The conditions were perfect for drag racing, with temperatures being in the upper 50's. Cool enough that the air going into the intake was pretty cool, but not so cold that the tires would stiffen up and loose traction (has happened to me on really cold nights, not so sure if it was my drivingor not though being on street tires).

So my previous best was a 10.101back in March I decided I wanted to break into the 9's. All night I ran a 10.064, a 10.220 (broke traction, whoops), 10.055, and a 10.014 in that order. On the 10.014 I decided I had given all there was and had to take drastic measures. My spare tire and all hte stuff in my glove box, console, and trunk was removed. The headlight was already out. I was also running my heater wide open, as heaters draw heat off the engine and filter it into the cabin. I figured by doing this I could take a little extra heat off that engine.

So the first thing I did, which I thought about just before making the 10.014 run, was to raise the tire pressures in the rear two tires so that they would have less contact with the ground and the car wouldn't have to work as hard to pull them. I drove to the air tank and put 55 psi in both rear tires. It was a cool night and I checked my rear tires immediatly after my last run, they were staying cool. I decided there was very little risk involved in airing the tires up just for one run down the strip. I pumped them up and kept my front tires where they were as I wasn't really having traction issues.

The next thig I did is something hte forum will scald me for. I took the air filter out. Every bit helps, the way I figure it that was better than a CAI, no filter and just a straight ram shot into the throttle body. The engine could get every bit of air it could possibly desire, plus at higher speeds it would be having some air rammed into it.

So on the last run, I got a bad reaciton but that doesn't count to your ET anyway, I cut a 9.863 at 72.699 mph.

So, a recount of my mods and tricks to do this number with

Exhaust: A single glass pack, U-bend delete, and stock cat.
Intake: No filter, headlight ram air
Dyno tuned at Carolina Auto Masters
Heater up wide open
Rear Tire pressures at 55 psi
Front Tire pressures at 28 psi.

And hte time slip, which I can't scan and a picture probably won't take well.

Reaction: .553 (my worst in awhile, and don't post about this as it doesn't effect your ET, so don't say I could have ran better.
60': 2.185
ET: 9.873
MPH: 72.699

Conclusion: There is NOTHING left in this car that can not be tapped into without modding the engine itself or maybe headers. The conditions, weather wise, were PERFECT. Teh sun was down so there was no heat being baked into the track, so it was cool and grippy. There were not traction issues, on my last run I barelly chirped and I as in the throttle by the time I hit the 60' mark. I don't think the car can be launched any harder. All excess weight was out of hte car. The above mods were done. I don't believe a 3.8L naturally aspirated Monte can be run much harder without more mods than I have.

Thankyou for reading my long winded story, it's hard to believe, I'm expectin a shenanigans call as some with superchargers can barelly run this number, but it did happen. If you look over my mods, you may understand, and you can try it yourself. But the conditions were too perfect, and it did in fact happen.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Default RE: Cutting a 9 with a n/a 3800!!!!

you are saying you can run a 10 sec with just these mods? I find that hard to believe..maybe on the 8th but not the quarter

Exhaust: A single glass pack, U-bend delete, and stock cat.
Intake: No filter, headlight ram air
Dyno tuned at Carolina Auto Masters
Heater up wide open
Rear Tire pressures at 55 psi
Front Tire pressures at 28 psi.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 PM

whoa that's some nice number's there my friend ! that's 1/8 mile right ? is your car mostly stock ?
congrat's on the good run man !

Old 10-04-2008, 06:34 PM

5 Year Member

i'll see if i can get a fiar picture, but if i did you guys wuld say my time is atually the 10.689 in the other lane (which was cut by a Chevrolet Avalanche).

yes 07,1/8th mile. if i could do this in the 1/4 i would be alright, haha

the rule of thumbs for translating that to the quarter mile is to multiply your 1/8th mile ETby 1.557. that makes my quarter mile about a 15.3. the gearing of the car and the luck of hte run gives you a couple of tenths either way, so i coud probably run between a 15.1 to 15.5 doing all of these mods in the quarter mile.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:40 PM

5 Year Member

Another thing about drag racing is just hte experience. the average guy who guys out on the strip has a hard time coming within a second of what his car should run. i've been running as a hobby for about a year and a half, sometimes running other peoples cars for them (once cutting a 10.7 in a freinds Mustang V6, 3 tenths faster than he could drive it). I wrote a whole thread in this section titled "Drag Racing 101" which is a compilation of my own personal experiences and things i've read on the internet, treid myself, and waht i've learned from other drivers at the strip. the first time i hit the strip i only rana 10.7. that very night, i got it down to 10.4.

another thing, our track was just repaved2 years ago. it has a little to do with grip. my tires only faintly chirped at about 10 mph on that 9.8 second pass.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM

Very nice Cowboy, I've always been able to run better times with my friends car then they have been able too also. As for all that you did to get that time, not a fan of. I know at a drag strip you want to run your best time. But I've always like to get a everyday drivingtime. With all the weight you always have when you drive. I have yet to run this car at a drag strip but I have beat cars that run 15.1 all day long at the track.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:14 PM

Hey `Duane -CowBoy-,
I believe you walk your talk, and also ran in the nines 9s in
the 1/8 miles : )
Congrats, and I bet it was super `fun.
Just stop pick`in on us SouthernBeachBum Rednecks : )
Thanks for sharing/posting, and taking `it to the Track.
Glad 2 read that U R hav`in some `fun.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:53 PM

That is sweet... I could easily see that. With those simple mode. Sometimes I turn the heat on, when im around town messin around. It just seems to be a lil quicker (or its all in my head) haha

Old 10-05-2008, 05:39 PM

5 Year Member

Yeah.. it was fun.

BTW, if you want an "everyday" speed, go back to the 10.1... thats a street ready speed right there.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 AM

good run... sounds plausible but the proof is in the puddin' not calling you out or anything but a timeslip would be nice!!!

Quick Reply: Cutting a 9 with a n/a 3800!!!!