PRIVATE For Sale/Trade Classifieds This is for active members of the forum. Spammers will be deleted and banned! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Thinking of selling 2002 Black Monte Carlo High Sport w/82xxx, what is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Thinking of selling 2002 Black Monte Carlo High Sport w/82xxx, what is it worth?

So I am thinking of selling my 2002 Monte Carlo High Sport.
it has about 82xxx miles
everything works
it is in as good of shape as any 2 year old car out there, and it is almost 12.

I was going to let my son drive it, he turns 16 in Feb, but it is too nice for a new driver.

It is in St Louis MO, so heres the deal, I can keep it and let him drive, but I know it will get damaged or I can sell it and buy something not as well cared for (hail or previous damage), but I know my car is in great running condition, so I only want to sell and buy something else if I can put some money in the bank.

Thoughts? I've looked on craigs list and the prices are all over, 2-6500.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/338580...t-monte-carlo/

Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Personal opinion... let your son drive it. It's an 11 year old car with 80k+ miles on it.

My first car was a 95 Dodge Ram 1500 with 72k miles on it, the thing was mint. I messed it up and honestly, although it sucked, it was the largest life lesson yet.. Respect what you have and work hard for the nice things you want.

I would let him drive it, especially since you won't see much over $5k for it.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM

let your son drive it and teach him about keeping it in good shape and clean, waxing ect, show him how to take care of a good car.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Why sell it and let some other kid drive it . I think you should let your son drive it.., My dad let me drive his 1969 Corvette to high school in 1978..

Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM

As everyone else said, let your kid drive it. Keep the car in the family rather then sell it to someone who may treat the car horribly. Having a nice car like that will teach him a lot of lessons. When I got my first car which was a 1996 ford thunderbird and it was a piece of trash. It got me from A to B but I never really took car of it because I just didn't care for the car. Now that I have my 2006 Monte Carlo I have really learned how to take care of a car.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM

id LOVE to have it.... that being said.... let him drive it..... any issues he has make him PAY FOR IT........ Teaches responsibility..... good luck.....

Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do agree with others about letting your son drive it, but at the same time i'm sure we'd all hate to see something happen to such a nice car. But i agree, it'll hopefully teach him to take care of a car and not drive like a maniac and be responsible. And if he does loose it, maybe he will learn something. And according to Kelly Blue book, the value is $6200 in good condition.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member

thanks for all the responses guys, it just cements that my first plan is probably the best, that is why when I purchased a truck 2 years ago I did not sell the Monte Carlo, plus my wife drives it in the winter and parks the convertible.

I was just a little bummed over the weekend when he said something like - honestly I don't care what I drive - it made me think I should buy my neighbors 96 Toyota Corolla and then see what he says.

I might buy it anyway just to insure him on with the mininum to save money, seems crazy that buying another car and insuring it will save money.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 AM

I would let your son drive it if he was capable of making payments to you, paying for his insurance and any maintenance. if he does not care what he drives, make him go out and get his own. of coarse, it will have to be in your name until he's 18.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM

Hi `Jeff,
I think `if you gave your Monte to your son that you would know that he is in a safe car, but I also have noticed during my journey of life that a young teen that has worked for his own ride treats it's with much more respect & care then those teens that have been given a car & not having to give `up to get it...

Now, I believe in Giving `Up to Get (I did not when I was a teen)
To many teens get a free ride & don't seem to learn responsibilities of auto ownership or use...

Your son is lucky to have a father that cares & is even considering letting his son get a awesome Monte Carlo likes yours...

`Jeff, keep us updated on what you decide...You know your son better then anyone of us...GOOD LUCK

That's my 2 cents & now I'm broke >

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling 2002 Black Monte Carlo High Sport w/82xxx, what is it worth?