Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by kellylynn336
A few weeks ago I noticed that the side skirt on my driver's side was loose and starting to pull away from the frame. Guess what was on the frame underneath? RUST. I was absolutely devastated!

So now I really don't know what I should do. I knew it would be a little pricey to fix the small rust spots on the body, but now that I know that it is on the frame too?! And I won't know the extent of the damage on the frame until I have someone pull it apart. Might just leave it be. What I don't know won't hurt me LOL

Can't win.
So sorry to hear of your resent finding of the rust. I don't know what region you're in, but rust is common in the "rust belt", north central area and toward the east coast where they salt the roads. You said the rust was on the frame, but our cars technically don't have a frame. They are "unibodies", meaning they are a single molded unit forming both the bodywork and chassis of the car. I don't want to scare you, but your comment "what you don't know won't hurt you" might not be so. Depending on the location and severity of the rust, it compromises the integrity of the structure and areas that might support the suspension. If the metal is fatigued by rust it could give way while you're driving down the road at 60 mph which could be catastrophic. Certain counties or states in the east require a periodic safety inspection and mandate the rust be repaired if it's deemed unsafe.
IMHO, I would not put any more money into the car than necessary to keep it rolling until you find a replacement. Just my oppinion.

Good luck