Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Default Window Tinting

What is everyone's opinion on window tint? I want to tint mine but I'm unsure about the darkness and whether to do it myself or not.

I'm leaning towards 20%, but I feel like that still might be too dark? I don't want to be identifiable through my side windows, but I'd still like to see out of them!

What do you guys think? I've got a white 03 SS if that matters.

Also, if any of you have gotten your windows professionally tinted, how much did you pay? My sister tinted her Grand Prix windows herself, and the bubbles look horrendous. So it's given me second thoughts about doing it myself.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Four4Four
What is everyone's opinion on window tint? I want to tint mine but I'm unsure about the darkness and whether to do it myself or not.

I'm leaning towards 20%, but I feel like that still might be too dark? I don't want to be identifiable through my side windows, but I'd still like to see out of them!

What do you guys think? I've got a white 03 SS if that matters.

Also, if any of you have gotten your windows professionally tinted, how much did you pay? My sister tinted her Grand Prix windows herself, and the bubbles look horrendous. So it's given me second thoughts about doing it myself.
I don't recommend doing it yourself. It's very difficult to get a good outcome with no bubbles/dirt under the film. I did the sides quarter glass myself because it is small and not too difficult. I had my rear glass tinted professionally for $125. Expect $150-250 to get all your windows tinted professionally. I have 20% on the sides and 5% on the back and I love it.

Good luck

Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

No, I wouldn't try it yourself if you never have done it. I can do them pretty good but not the rear window. I paid $175 I think when I had my Challenger done. I just went with one shade past legal. I had Limo tint on my 77 GP it looked great but I had to roll the window down to see my driveway at night.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

My dad just helped me retint my rear side windows. I put 5% over 30% and let me tell ya, that's just about too dark lol! I can barely see out of it at night but its what I wanted. I have 30% on the front sides and 30% on the rear. Looks ok but I'm going to have the rear replaced with 5% eventually. We tried to tint over my rear window with some precut tint and it wasn't working out so we pealed it off. So I'd say have the rear done professionally if you can. Side windows aren't too bad to do yourself though.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
My dad just helped me retint my rear side windows. I put 5% over 30% and let me tell ya, that's just about too dark lol! I can barely see out of it at night but its what I wanted. I have 30% on the front sides and 30% on the rear. Looks ok but I'm going to have the rear replaced with 5% eventually. We tried to tint over my rear window with some precut tint and it wasn't working out so we pealed it off. So I'd say have the rear done professionally if you can. Side windows aren't too bad to do yourself though.
you didnt take the 30 off the sides before u put 5 over it?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 PM

How do you like 30%? If you could do it again would you go darker?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Four4Four
How do you like 30%? If you could do it again would you go darker?
i always go dark on the rears, u can always change the fronts if its to dark or to light the rears are a lot harder to change.

if i were u i would go with 2.5%-5% rear and 25-35% front windows.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02 Earnhardt Monte Carlo SS
you didnt take the 30 off the sides before u put 5 over it?
No I put the 5% right over it.. Turned out great. You can barely see out but you can't see in

Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 PM

No I put the 5% right over it.. Turned out great. You can barely see out but you can't see in
huh i might need to try that, my 5% was purple in color when i got my 01, i hate the way it looks but i cant change the rear window which sucks.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM

It depends on your state laws, in Texas front drivers & passenger windows have to be 35% everything else can be limo, so thats how I roll !

Quick Reply: Window Tinting