Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Wheel dust cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Wheel dust cover

Found a site with wheel dust covers I just might get a set, Check them out have different colors. Don't know how to post link but web site is Kleen Wheels. They have 5spoke and regular covers. Put in car and year.Look pretty nice.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:21 AM

Hi 'Butch,
I hope the below helps > member's.
Kleen Wheels: Dust shields | Brake dust covers | Clean Wheels < Click

www.kleenwheels.com/

Call Kleen Wheels today (800-327-6548) to order your brake dust shields to keep your car's wheels looking like new and never scrub your wheels again!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Eh, for one, I'm not a fan of that look; looks like how a steel wheel looks behind a hubcap. Two, I like the aesthetics and appearance of being able to see through to the brake components, etc. That, and I've never had an issue with brake dust on either my 2003 or 2006 Monte Carlos anyway.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Eh, for one, I'm not a fan of that look; looks like how a steel wheel looks behind a hubcap. Two, I like the aesthetics and appearance of being able to see through to the brake components, etc. That, and I've never had an issue with brake dust on either my 2003 or 2006 Monte Carlos anyway.

Ditto 'Matt > There's not 4 my ride > I'd rather work to keep my rims clean & waxed. There's many safe products today that takes the brake dust 'off without damaging the wheels/rims..

"2 each there own 4>Sure"
Thanks for your thread 'Butch & your post > 'Matt
It will be interesting to see what member's like them ?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SpaceRider

Ditto 'Matt > There's not 4 my ride > I'd rather work to keep my rims clean & waxed. There's many safe products today that takes the brake dust 'off without damaging the wheels/rims..

"2 each there own 4>Sure"
Thanks for your thread 'Butch & your post > 'Matt
It will be interesting to see what member's like them ?
what do you recommend? Cause brake dust is a nightmare on Red.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015

Originally Posted by butch049
Found a site with wheel dust covers I just might get a set, Check them out have different colors. Don't know how to post link but web site is Kleen Wheels. They have 5spoke and regular covers. Put in car and year.Look pretty nice.
I was thinking more of the look of the colored ones than keeping them clean.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dbaldwin

Hi 'David, Butch & Member's,
Below is a good comparison on Brake Dust cleaner's
(I use Eagle One on my ride) Does a great 'job..

Best wheel cleaners

Do any of these spray-on products make it easy to keep your rims looking their best?

Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner was among the most effective tested products.

Alloy wheels have become a chic and elegant fashion statement on today’s cars. They’re light, strong, and stylish. But their open-spoke design, which exposes the brakes behind them, can allow brake dust and road grime to accumulate quickly. That’s more than ugly, particularly if you drive in wintry conditions; road salt can cause corrosion, pitting, and permanent damage to those expensive wheels.

A number of spray-on, hose-off wheel cleaners are sold with claims that they make it easy to maintain your rims. Some claims even say that no scrubbing is required, so you won’t have to get your hands dirty. But our tests of five such cleaners found that none was very effective without applying some elbow grease and that all required the use of a > >soft brush < < to get the best results.

The products usually come in a pump bottle or aerosol can, but they don’t come cheap. We paid $4 to $7 for 23- or 24-ounce bottles of Armor All Extreme Wheel & Tire Cleaner, Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner, Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner, and Mothers Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner and $7 for a 16-ounce can of Black Magic Foaming All Wheel Cleaner. These wheel cleaners will typically provide three to four washings for all four wheels.

We also found that when we used a brush, none of the tested wheel cleaners did a better job than a less-expensive all-purpose cleaner. The one we tried, Zep Industrial Purple Cleaner & Degreaser Concentrate, is available at home centers for about $10 a gallon. (Dilute this cleaner before use.)

Putting them to the test

Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Clean

We used a number of employee vehicles with dirty wheels to assess the effectiveness of the cleaners. We first applied each one according to directions but without brushing to see which worked well when simply sprayed on and hosed off. Before and after each cleaning we collected dirt samples on clean cloths and measured the soil level using a colorimeter. Next, we tried each cleaner with a brush.

When used without brushing, none resulted in clean wheels, but we found the Eagle One, Meguiars, and Mothers cleaners to be the most effective. (Performance from these three products was similar.) The Armor All product was less effective, and the Black Magic was the least effective.

Keep in mind that some labels recommend eye and hand protection when using the product and advise against breathing its fumes. Since you need to scrub and come in close contact with the cleaners, you really should heed the warnings.

All of the products are labeled as all-purpose wheel cleaners, which are safe for use on any type of rim. That’s important, since some cleaners are formulated for a specific type of wheel and can damage the finish on others. Consult your car’s owner’s manual for specifics.

Mothers Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner

What we tested (in performance order below)
Product
Size
Price
Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner
23 oz.
$6.99
Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner
24 oz.
Mothers Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner
24 oz.
Armor All Extreme Wheel & Tire Cleaner
24 oz.
Black Magic Foaming All Wheel Cleaner
16 oz.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Are you saying you have that much brake dust getting on the car? Like I said, I've never had an issue with brake dust getting on the car, let alone the wheels.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Are you saying you have that much brake dust getting on the car? Like I said, I've never had an issue with brake dust getting on the car, let alone the wheels.
Alot on the wheels, Not any on the car. Not sure how it builds up so fast....

Last edited by STUMPMI; 10-20-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Alot on the wheels, Not any on the car. Not sure how it builds up so fast....
Racing,Hard stops and starts , Racing from light to light.. add to excessive brake dust...

Personally,
I'm not into "Hubcaps" either...aka dust covers....

Quick Reply: Wheel dust cover