Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

vinyl wrap

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 03:06 PM
1 Year Member
Default vinyl wrap

Has anyone used vinyl wrap on their monte ? I'm considering wrapping the side mirrors and interior pieces to complement my interior project.
The tiburon seats don't blend into the grocery getter interior...
I think the interior pieces would need plastidip prior to wrapping to cover the texture.
I have my eye on 4d black carbon fiber for the interior, maybe red CF on the side mirrors.

Could someone recommend good vinyl wrap? I've heard 3m is overpriced for what it is.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

I have used the Carbon fiber wrap.
First time was back in 2006. I had great results with it.
Then I had to do a repair on it. I used the left over material that I had. Then it was not working as well.
So I bought some new material, similar to what you are considering. Then I got some replacement parts cause the old ones were Cracked and I use a heat gun/hair dryer to get it to conform.
Sometimes on real large applications I have applied a little water/soap mix to the surface and then you can move the material around.
I used it on some interior home applications also. Namely a few panels on my Pool table. Worked well there also.
I trimmed it with an exacto knife, you also need a plastic flat applicator. I also used a Charcoal artist blender ( looks like a Cigar) Hobby Lobby has them, has a pointed tip and is soft to help get into curves and recesses.
The key to success is taking your time.
I have also used a Carbon fiber fabric, you have to spray down some 3M adhesive and apply it to the surface. That you have to stretch and tug and pull to get it to stay in place.
That's about all I can help with except go to youtube and check videos on it.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 PM

I had vinyl on my monte years ago. I had it in 3 spots-

Full length racing stripes
Sunscreen across top of windshield
Large bow tie on drivers side of car (c pillar)

The only downside I found is that it didn't hold up well in the long term. Up front, it picked up some small rock chips (saved the paint, but made the vinyl look like crap). Then overall after about 3 or 4 years it lost its shine and started to look like crap (it was gloss blue metallic). Granted my car was parked outside 24/7 at that point.

I've now taken it all off at this point. I will admit it was pretty cheap, so it would probably be worth it to redo every now and then if you really liked it.

I imagine interior pieces would hold up better, especially if you have tint or something to block the sun rays.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:16 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the response everyone!!

Do you guys remember what brand vinyl you used? Does the cheaper ebay vinyl work as well as say avery or 3m ?

I'm thinking of tinting the sides as well, I'm not confident in my ability to tint a whole windshield as one piece, though.

Last edited by Scott_S; 06-07-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:06 PM

Definitely not the cheap stuff for the exterior.

Tinting whole windshields is miserable btw. I worked at a tint shop for awhile and I still pay someone else to do it, lol.