Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Which type of paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Which type of paint?

I'm looking to paint my entire Monte a new color. While comparing prices for a shop to paint vs. me jumping in and taking the time and doing the job myself, there are a few types of paints that are sold. So I ask which type of paint will hold up and look good?

Acrylic Lacquer
Acrylic Enamel
Acrylic Urethane
Urethane

Old 08-08-2009, 10:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bearbear3_4
I'm looking to paint my entire Monte a new color. While comparing prices for a shop to paint vs. me jumping in and taking the time and doing the job myself, there are a few types of paints that are sold. So I ask which type of paint will hold up and look good?

Acrylic Lacquer
Acrylic Enamel
Acrylic Urethane
Urethane

Acrylic Lacquer: Old technology

Acrylic Enamel: Single Stage paint: doesn't have the shine and the U/V protection of a clear coat on top.

Acrylic Urethane: Single stage Paint: doesn't have the shine and the U/V protection of a clear coat on top.

Urethane: Base Coat/Clear Coat: What you have right now on your car. You have an increadable shine, U/V protection, and if it gets light scratches, it can be buffed out.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

IMO repainting a vehicle with anything but Urethane Basecoat/clearcoat is just a waste of time. BC/CC will give you the best looking, most durable paint job and the widest array of colors/shades/effects. If you are planing on doing it yourself I would recommend visiting a NAPA store that sells martin senor paints. They are a little more expensive but they can look up the code, match the color to your car or make you a new color, mix it, get you all the supplies necessary to prep for paint and spray the paint and help you with the exact procedure for spraying the products.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

X3 on the Urethane BC/CC. Just all around better paint system IMO.

What color are you thinking of?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:49 PM

Alright looks like the hands down choice is the BC/CC.

Right now the car is antique bronze, I was thinking of lazer blue or just repainting the same color.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it's going to be very hard to re-paint the car a different color.

The shop has to be VERY good, because they'll have to dismantle the car, so you don't have a great blue finish, then open the doors and see all the old colors, or pop the hood at a show and see the old brown. (it may even look like rust in comparison)

Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 PM

you can go single stage and clear coat too!! thats if u want a solid color like black (non pearl or metallic)

i do it all the time in our shop.. saves me a ton of time on the monday morning black, white, red and yellow bumper jobs.. though on a complete paint i would def go base/clear..
with single stage, if u get any problems in it like fish-eyes or runs your shagged for hours until it dries.. base coat just wait 20 mins and wetsand out

urathane single stage.. 2 coats of paint. 1 coat of clear
base/clear ... 2+ coats base. 2 coats clear

Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
it's going to be very hard to re-paint the car a different color.

The shop has to be VERY good, because they'll have to dismantle the car, so you don't have a great blue finish, then open the doors and see all the old colors, or pop the hood at a show and see the old brown. (it may even look like rust in comparison)

I know it's going to be one heck of a time to paint the whole car. I'm thinking of taking a week off from work, turn the garage into a body shop for that week and just do a complete tear down and repaint. Or just take the bumpers and fenders off and just repaint the same color. Either way I have to take the fenders off cause I bought some crappy chains during the winter and they broke one day and tore up the inner fenders guards and caused dents on the outside of the fender and need to fix that.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 PM

depending where you are it will either be best urethane or waterbourne

always, i mean ALWAYS shell out for the basecoat clear coat. single stage just isnt as quality as bc/cc

depending on the system it could be 2-3 coats solvent paint and at least 3 coats of clear. waterbourne covers in at most 2 coats. 3 coats of clear at the least. give the detailer some working space when they cut an buff your whip to perfection

Last edited by silver1; 08-21-2009 at 07:42 PM.