Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Tried Claybar and that didn't even work

Old 05-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Default Tried Claybar and that didn't even work

So I went and bought Claybar today to fix all these water spots that wont come off my paint and used it in several places and did it as the instructions said but all it seem to do was take the surface dirt off and didnt get down deep. I can feel that the paint is smooth again however I still see the spots all over my trunk, spoiler, and roof. It almost looks like the clearcoat is getting worn off. I did notice in one spot particular that i could run my finger across it and feel the clearcoat getting ready to flake in a very small spot... What can I do guy? I really REALLY do not want to be driving a car around with flaking clearcoat. I'd feel like one of those people who are poor and don't take care of their cars..

Old 05-13-2011, 02:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Clay bar takes the contaminants off the clear coat, if there is already clear coat damage, you are probably going to be stuck with it. You'll have to deal with it, maybe wetsanding can fix your paint, but most likely you are past the point of home remedy.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:01 PM

Noooo thats not what I wanted to hear .
Could I get it re-clearcoated (if thats even possible)?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

If its water spotting, more than likely it has etched into the clear. and will entail compounding and polishing(by machine), Possibly wet-sanding if there really bad but not always are they as bad as people think they are.. Did you get the car like that or did it happen since you have owned the car. I can give you things to do to avoid this completely.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:15 PM

It was like it when I got the car, I would love all advice to fix it. I would love to have that black paint shine again!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Have you ever used a machine polisher. Like and orbital polisher(DA). If your new to it, there is something I want you to try first, if you have experience with it, ill go another route.

This polisher.......... Meguiars Dual Action Polisher G110, meguiars g110 polisher, meguiars polisher,

And buy and try this first... anyone can do this easily even if you have never used a polisher before............. Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit

Old 05-13-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Have you ever used a machine polisher. Like and orbital polisher(DA). If your new to it, there is something I want you to try first, if you have experience with it, ill go another route.

This polisher.......... Meguiars Dual Action Polisher G110, meguiars g110 polisher, meguiars polisher,

And buy and try this first... anyone can do this easily even if you have never used a polisher before............. Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit
i agree with this

Old 05-14-2011, 10:41 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So do I - I have a porter cable orbital and it's pretty much fool proof and you won't burn though the paint. Just experiment with different levels of abrasive compounds.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:46 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Might burn the paint.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by jwjones
So I went and bought Claybar today to fix all these water spots that wont come off my paint and used it in several places and did it as the instructions said but all it seem to do was take the surface dirt off and didnt get down deep.
Well, that's kind of like buying spray paint to fix a dent. You gotta get the right tool for the job and a clay bar is not the right tool to remove water spots.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tried Claybar and that didn't even work