Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Tell me about HID lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Default Tell me about HID lights

I saw these lights for only about $20. From what I can tell they drop in directly for my low beams. What is so much more special about these

The second pair doesn't mention being DOT compliant, but I would think for that price they would be. Are the first pair even really HID?

Thanks

Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They aren't real hids, they are crap bulbs.

Buy at your own risk, but I'm telling you it's nonsense, it's not even worth putting HIDs on our cars because we don't have projector options so they become illegal.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Don't be cheap on headlights. Vision at night is very important.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 AM

So I can't say that either of your post were helpful. You both said those bulbs were crap, neither really specified why or gave an alternative option. Also the first pair say they are DOT approved.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:06 AM

15 Year Member

You want me to be more detailed? You get what you pay for, you will learn that very quickly when it comes to things for cars.

A good set of bulbs can cost you $50, even $60. Those bulbs that you posted are basically just lightbulbs that are tinted with some blue. Saying DOT approved really doesn't mean much, it just means that the lights won't destroy your car, not that they are good to use. When you add tint to a bulb you will lose lighting, and in a lot of states people are really starting to crack down on this whole HID trend. In a lot of places if you project a color you can get pulled over and ticketed.

And then your second post was a HID kit. Do your research on HIDs. They ARE illegal if they are not installed properly. Properly installed HID kits are housed in a projector style light, where the beams are FORCED to go specifically in one spot. When you put them in the Retro casing (retrofit) you are allowing the whole hid bulb to bounce all over your headlights and yes it will increase your light output, but it also is ILLEGAL and you will blind EVERY car that drives the opposite direction. If that car is a cop, then he can pull you over and ticket you.

Also a lot of people have HID issues. I'm not saying everyone does, but you will needs bulbs, ballasts, relays, you'll need to mount these things in your car, you need to have some experience in troubleshooting, you could randomly LOSE your lights at night and have to pull over and see why. It's a lot of hassle.

My recommendation is to get yourself a nice set of Silverstar Ultras, or find real HALOGEN bulbs that will give a good light output. Don't worry about the trends of blue lights, they are slowly going to just get more and more illegal and more and more common.

Save your money or buy a good bulb.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Hid, hid, hid! Ftw

Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by sonin66
Hid, hid, hid! Ftw
If properly installed in projector housings.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

If you really want a good bulb, go with Sylvania SilverStar Ultras. However, if you have an 06 or 07, they don't make them to fit.

HID's can be installed in the stock housings, but yes it is illegal, however, if aimed properly you won't blind on coming cars and you will definitely increase your visibility.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
You want me to be more detailed? You get what you pay for, you will learn that very quickly when it comes to things for cars.

A good set of bulbs can cost you $50, even $60. Those bulbs that you posted are basically just lightbulbs that are tinted with some blue. Saying DOT approved really doesn't mean much, it just means that the lights won't destroy your car, not that they are good to use. When you add tint to a bulb you will lose lighting, and in a lot of states people are really starting to crack down on this whole HID trend. In a lot of places if you project a color you can get pulled over and ticketed.

And then your second post was a HID kit. Do your research on HIDs. They ARE illegal if they are not installed properly. Properly installed HID kits are housed in a projector style light, where the beams are FORCED to go specifically in one spot. When you put them in the Retro casing (retrofit) you are allowing the whole hid bulb to bounce all over your headlights and yes it will increase your light output, but it also is ILLEGAL and you will blind EVERY car that drives the opposite direction. If that car is a cop, then he can pull you over and ticket you.

Also a lot of people have HID issues. I'm not saying everyone does, but you will needs bulbs, ballasts, relays, you'll need to mount these things in your car, you need to have some experience in troubleshooting, you could randomly LOSE your lights at night and have to pull over and see why. It's a lot of hassle.

My recommendation is to get yourself a nice set of Silverstar Ultras, or find real HALOGEN bulbs that will give a good light output. Don't worry about the trends of blue lights, they are slowly going to just get more and more illegal and more and more common.

Save your money or buy a good bulb.
That is more of the answer I was looking for. I don't care about the blue tint. I just want a set of nice bright lights. I will be pricing the ones mentioned.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 PM

15 Year Member

Glad I could help

Quick Reply: Tell me about HID lights