Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Stripes: Painted or Vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Stripes: Painted or Vinyl?

Planning on repainting my '07 SS this spring, and I'm considering having the stripes painted instead of the vinyl decals as it is now. Opinions? I know it will add cost, and my estimate with painted stripes is $5200... I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for quality. One day, I'd like to put this car in a show just to say I had a car cool enough to do that...haha...

Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Quality would be painted then clear coated. All depends on how long you are keeping the car, is it a daily driver, is it out in harsh weather (snow, salt and Ice)?

When I had my 06 SS Monte the pinstripe and all graphics where painted and clear coated.

With the Camaro, if I do a hood center stripe I will go vinyl because:
It will be Garaged.
It will not be out in snow, Ice or Salt.
If I get road chips in it (which is bound to happen) I can replace the vinyl.

So that's my 2 Cents worth - Good luck nice looking Monte

Last edited by Tadcaster; 02-17-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member

It is my daily driver, and I've decided to keep it for a while. I live in northeast Arkansas, so there are no harsh winters to endure. I was leaning toward painting the stripes because it irritates me to not be able to get all of the wax removed from the edges of the vinyl stripes.... I have never been able to find an effective method of doing that. I never considered having to repair the stripes... That's a good point. Right now, the car has a clear protective film on the nose of the hood that was on the car when I purchased it. The previous owner's timing was a bit off, however, as there are numerous chips underneath it........... Thanks for the input!

Old 02-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Question

Wow $5200. tell me that its a total repaint for that amount and not just stripes. I would get a few more quotes if not.
I got a price for cutting in a scoop and a front end repaint for $400. on mine at a local shop, and this fellow has done exceptional work for me before and it was all good.
Now if you got a famous body guy doing it then go for it

Old 02-16-2016, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member

I should have clarified....lol... Yes, that is for a total repaint, including painting the stripes. They are a reputable shop that I have unfortunately had to use several times for other cars on insurance jobs. I could definitely get a cheaper quote, but these guys are top notch for sure. The quote was for all of the body work, total repaint including stripes.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chifan
I should have clarified....lol... Yes, that is for a total repaint, including painting the stripes. They are a reputable shop that I have unfortunately had to use several times for other cars on insurance jobs. I could definitely get a cheaper quote, but these guys are top notch for sure. The quote was for all of the body work, total repaint including stripes.
If you are repainting the whole car, go with painting the stripes on for sure - I had though you where just adding strips to the existing paint.
I would suggest then that if you paint the strips on, have them clear coat the car AFTER the stripes are on. It brings a much more even finish to the car surface.

As for the shop, if you like their work then looking for cheaper is not an option. Ya get what you pay for. I too have a favorite shop in town too. They have my trust and I use them unconditionally

Sounds like an exciting project!

Last edited by Tadcaster; 02-17-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

i like the stripes on your car. I have been considering dark grey stripes on mine. I am glad you brought up the problem of wax on the Decal edges. I will lean towards paint and clearcoat once I scrape up enough cash. lol!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:12 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I'd go with decals. If your car ever got wrecked, insurance would probably not cover the repainting of the stripes. Also, unless you get a clear bra, you will most likely get chips on the hood. My vinyl lasted at least 10 years before I chose to redo the hood graphics. Waxing around vinyl decals are easy if you tape them off.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member

When I wrecked the Deuce Autozone's insurance paid for all of my custom paint work not even a question ,,Haggerty would have did the same but I cancelled the claim when Autozone stepped up to pay

Old 02-23-2016, 08:10 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

But you didn't wreck your hood. Unless you are paying through the nose for insurance and some rider on the policy that says it covers aftermarket parts or have collector car insurance (I don't have experience with that type of insurance) you won't get that custom paint or aftermarket hood covered. On a normal insurance policy none of that stuff would be covered.