Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Roof Rails Prep?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Roof Rails Prep?

So I finally got my roof rails I've always wanted so badly ...BUT...their a dark metallic purple with some paint bubbling and scratches. lol so what's the best way to prep these for paint? Sand it...maybe some paint thinner...and should I get these professionally painted or do it myself? Im thinking a shop for best results.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

I'm thinking a body shop for sure, got mine re-done for 150 totally redone and painted. Now to put them on.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Heres a post on install I used 3m double sided tape on mine no problems.
how to install roof rails - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Old 04-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

If the paint is bubbling, you will need to sand the spot down to bare plastic and primer the rails before you paint them. You will need a good adhesion promoter before you apply anything to the bare plastic or it wont stick. After its primed you can sand the primer and paint over it. If you are new to body work and painting, it may be worth it to just pay a shop to do it, or at least someone who has painting experience.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ashley.Marie
I'm thinking a body shop for sure, got mine re-done for 150 totally redone and painted. Now to put them on.
Really? Nice! I was thinking around that it'd be that much to get it done, but my sister's friends' mom has a body shop so maybe I'll get a discount haha

Originally Posted by zjerry
Heres a post on install I used 3m double sided tape on mine no problems.
how to install roof rails - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums
I did look at that, but I also thought about the 3M tape and I definitely don't want it wobbly after a while (as stated in the first paragraph) where thieves can steal it. I've been through alot to get this and so i'm going to epoxy the f*** out of it lol

Originally Posted by mrl390
If the paint is bubbling, you will need to sand the spot down to bare plastic and primer the rails before you paint them. You will need a good adhesion promoter before you apply anything to the bare plastic or it wont stick. After its primed you can sand the primer and paint over it. If you are new to body work and painting, it may be worth it to just pay a shop to do it, or at least someone who has painting experience.
I figured, i'll just go to a body shop and have them do it lol