Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

REMOVING Roof Rails

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Talking REMOVING Roof Rails

Hey guys, A friend of mine has a beat up 40th anniversary Grand Prix and she said she'd sell me her roof rails for $80! I won't see her or her car until Friday, and I kinda need to figure this out before I get there.

So my question is how do you remove roof rails from a grand prix without causing any damage? Need help ASAP! Thanks guys!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM

i think they are just double face taped on there. btw good deal on them, i have been searching for the last 4 months for a set for a good price, you got a great price on them!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i'm pretty sure on the 40th there is also 2 screws on the front and back which are under the headliner that you will need to get to

Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Good luck! Had to take mine off the Monte when I first put them on because I didn't take the whole weather stripping out and those roof rails will bend so far!! Don't stress too much!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 PM

This is still her daily driver, she just doesn't seem to care about it too much.

So I'd have to take her headliner out to get these things off...? She's not gunna like that.. Once I get the screws out, if there are any, then its just a matter of carefully pulling? Prying with a screwdriver? What about heating?

Another possibly dumb question: When I remove the rails from her car, she'll be left with those empty "channels" on her roof. Seeing as those channels go under the weatherstripping (I dont know how far), could rain affect her? As in leaks, etc. She uses this car every day and I don't wanna ruin it for her just for some roof rails.

Last edited by Four4Four; 05-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Carefully take your stock ones off by sliding a credit card under em & put em on her car with new double sided tape

Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Four4Four
This is still her daily driver, she just doesn't seem to care about it too much.

So I'd have to take her headliner out to get these things off...? She's not gunna like that.. Once I get the screws out, if there are any, then its just a matter of carefully pulling? Prying with a screwdriver? What about heating?

Another possibly dumb question: When I remove the rails from her car, she'll be left with those empty "channels" on her roof. Seeing as those channels go under the weatherstripping (I dont know how far), could rain affect her? As in leaks, etc. She uses this car every day and I don't wanna ruin it for her just for some roof rails.
if you decide to sell them and not put them on your car let me know! i will buy them right away!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 PM

I just wanted to say great deal on the rails! and also happy to see that someone cares about the person they're getting them from enough . I'd be pist if i knew nothing about cars and someone bought them off me and i eneded up with a drenched car one day.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02 Earnhardt Monte Carlo SS
if you decide to sell them and not put them on your car let me know! i will buy them right away!
dang you just don't let up do you lol

There are screws, so you'll need to get those out. They should also be held down by OEM double sided tape.

I agree with Mike, you should put your current weatherstripping in there, especially with removing the screws, there will probably be a leak, i would also seal it with some epoxy.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02 Earnhardt Monte Carlo SS

Originally Posted by trewyn15
dang you just don't let up do you lol
x2 on that.......

Quick Reply: REMOVING Roof Rails