Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

rear bumper options

Old 08-15-2013, 01:25 PM
1 Year Member
Default rear bumper options

I know that there are two different rear bumber covers. I have the High Sport one with the wrap around ground effects. I need a new one since my accident. Can I just buy a new cover without the ground effects since the price is like 400$ more on GM parts. I cannot seems to find a used one.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, the high sport is just a clip that gets added to the bottom, it's not fully molded into the bumper.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:49 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Yes, the high sport is just a clip that gets added to the bottom, it's not fully molded into the bumper.
So if I take the lower extension part off my current rear bumber cover, I should be able to add it to a bumber cover that does not have the High Sport option?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM

This thread will show how the rear lower extension attachs to the rear bumper.

Link---> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...effects-44109/

Old 08-15-2013, 03:06 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KCFITZ78
This thread will show how the rear lower extension attachs to the rear bumper.

Link---> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...effects-44109/
So basically I can find any SS rear bumber and add my GFX to it? Where can I get the template that is shown in your How to?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM

The template only comes with new OEM High sport Kits. There is no template sold seperatly that I know of. GM does not have a part number for the template.

Replacment SS bumpers come with the slots cut out. If you buy and LS bumper, than you could make a template from your SS bumper a use it the trtansfer the slots and holes locations on to the new/used LS bumper.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:20 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KCFITZ78
The template only comes with new OEM High sport Kits. There is no template sold seperatly that I know of. GM does not have a part number for the template.

Replacment SS bumpers come with the slots cut out. If you buy and LS bumper, than you could make a template from your SS bumper a use it the trtansfer the slots and holes locations on to the new/used LS bumper.
OH, I see. So basically that is a great cheat then. So to make sure that I understand what you are saying, If I find an SS cover, the slots are there but just need to be cut out. If I buy an LS I need a template to install the GFX also known as the lower extension right?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:31 PM

15 Year Member

Not all SS covers have the high sport kit slots already there.

For example, that was only a pace car option in 2000. And it was an option for most SS cars, it made them say "limited edition" too.

So if the slots don't exist, then you do need the template somehow to add your rear extension on the new bumper.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:44 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Not all SS covers have the high sport kit slots already there.

For example, that was only a pace car option in 2000. And it was an option for most SS cars, it made them say "limited edition" too.

So if the slots don't exist, then you do need the template somehow to add your rear extension on the new bumper.
AH!! now I totally understand. my extension will go over the existing part. I totally get it now. Making a template will not be that hard considering the major damage is to the top of the cover.

Thanks. that makes my life a little easier.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 PM

15 Year Member

haha glad it finally clicked!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear bumper options