Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Rattle canning for a two-tone look

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rattle canning for a two-tone look

I've been thinking about spraying my Lt to look more like an SS, by putting spraying from the lowest line on the bumpers, and the plastic panels on the sides of the car silver.

I do not have access to a spray booth, or the money to have it done professionally.

Would I be able to do this with some Duplicolor and have it look good? How would it hold up?

Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 AM

thats what I did on the trim below my car. I had got specific plastic paint (im sure dup will work). rub it down REALLY good with a cleaner first. its very important to do otherwise it will flake after a few months. then, tape/newspaper all the places for overspray, and do lots of light coats. it took me a few hours to do mine with one person helping. its not as easy as youd think!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 AM

Hi `Brian, if it was mine, I wouldn't even try it. I've tried to paint, but it never comes out the way I want it to.

I would save & get estimates from a pro painter, that have the talent/training..., but it's your Monte.

I like your idea, but `if you are going to do it, I would find same/similar materials 2 practice on, before I would attempt to do it 2 your Monte..

Good Luck, Brian `T...Let us know what you do, and let's see what other member's post about your ?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Vita, what paint did you use?

I've done alot of spay painting on plastics, and have gotten pretty good at it. I typically use Krylon fusion for that kind of work, but I don't know how well that would work for an automotive application, or how well it would look after drying (glossyness, color depth etc)

Also, did you remove the side panels for painting, how easy are they to remove?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had mine done professionally (it wasn't black plastic or anything, just from the factory I had a black bottom, and I wanted the silver with red trim line)

Professionally done, using real GM paint and paint codes, held up for almost 9 years now -> $250

Personally taking the time to save up and get it done right, will be worth it.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

If it cost $250 9 years ago, it would be about double the price if not more now. Paint prices have really gone up.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 PM

I was thinking of painting my lip kit on my SS. and i still am. I found the blue i want and have my paint gun already.Just have to purchase my primer and paint/clear coat.

Just wondering if anyone know exaclly how the lip kit comes off the 05 ss's. i dont want to tape up car thinking would be just soo much easyer taking the kit off and painting it and if i have to drive i can still drive my car.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 AM

If it cost $250 9 years ago, it would be about double the price if not more now. Paint prices have really gone up.

`Matt, 4-Sure, everything seems 2 be go'in `up in Price $
Oh, except my back account

Originally Posted by Steven73
I was thinking of painting my lip kit on my SS. and i still am. I found the blue i want and have my paint gun already.Just have to purchase my primer and paint/clear coat.
Originally Posted by Steven73

Just wondering if anyone know exaclly how the lip kit comes off the 05 ss's. i dont want to tape up car thinking would be just soo much easyer taking the kit off and painting it and if i have to drive i can still drive my car.

Hi `Steven,
If a member does not post an answer 2 your ?
Try calling or stopping by your local Chevy/GM
Body Shop, & they should advise what is required.

Let us know how it goes, and B-4 & after pic's would
be great to see. Share the experience : )
Good Luck

Old 04-30-2009, 08:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm just saying, it could wind up being a waste of time and money, you should really just get a price estimate (remember mine was a 2 color paint job also, so the price doesn't necessarily need to be double what I paid)

Price quotes are free, and you can bargain with a person... etc. etc.

I'm not saying go that route, but just see how much it would be to get it professionally done. I'd rather take a month or 2 to save up money, than look at a poorly done paint job for years to come.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:40 AM

I'm a big fan of DIY so I say go for it. Just make sure you do it right though. I highly suggest getting some Bulldog adhesive promoter. Most importantly, take your time. Rushing and cutting corners are usually two good ways to foobar your painting project.

Quick Reply: Rattle canning for a two-tone look