Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Rally stripes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:23 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Rally stripes

anyone ever add them to either their 6th or 7th gen? Im going to want to do mine soon in the spring/sumemr and needed opinions. I see the strip sets pre cut online, but applying them...? lol

Old 02-11-2014, 02:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I highly recommend finding a local vehicle lettering company and just asking them how much to install.

Adding vinyl isn't hard to do, but if you don't get it perfect, it will bug you every single time you look at it.

I wasn't going to get my Camaro with the stripes on it, but cost wise... it was well worth it I would not want to even attempt that myself.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There are quite a few members that have added stripes, maybe they will chime in here. Mine are painted on, it was the first mod I did when I got my Monte. Maybe if you search "stripes" in the search bar or look in the exterior or sights and sounds thread category you may find their threads.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:58 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

lol I was gonna wait until it warmed up to attempt to do it. My family has a friends business that may be able to paint me some on, but if I can save a buck by adding them myself I wouldnt mind it. I have been searching for threads and I found a couple to help me. Thanks guys ! I hope some of the members who have done them does see this, I want mine to be yellow, cause my car is black so..black and yellow ! But I only see OEM strip kits. Maybe Mel can pop in here and help me out ! Ill shoot him a pm

Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

I agree with letting a shop handle it. If it isn't perfect it will bother you for the whole time they are on the car.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:39 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

How much do they usually go for? shock have your shop put them on for me! lol.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres a really good video on installing racing stripes with Vinyl application.
Hope this helps!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:24 PM

Speaking of Rally stripes for the 7th gen, does anyone else think that the trunk stripes should end on the Spoiler instead of going below the spoiler as they all do?

The SS cars back in the day had the stripes end on the spoiler (if they had one), not the rear facia below the spoiler...

I'm thinking about doing mine in Silver and having them finish on the spoiler. I would have the stripes end just above the 3rd brake light and still retain the trimmed edge. Basically, just use the bottom trunk stripes on the spoiler...what do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails Rally stripes-0607mcss.jpg  

Last edited by SSilver; 02-11-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I did mine on my own and, from experience, I'd agree with the others here. I have an error on the driver side that bugs the hell outta me!

Name:  IMG647_zpsb03d7cbd.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  129.4 KB
Name:  IMG659_zps52293865.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  95.4 KB

Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Just had mine done by the guy who installs for GM around these parts... 6th gen are much harder to do than 7th, because of all the extra contours we have that are almost naked to the eye except when you start applying vinyl... Great video, my guy did it dry, harder but better... When you apply the vinyl on wet, you have to baby sit it for quite a while as it will move... If you apply it dry, you must start from the center point and work your way down each length, remember that vinyl does not forgive and your ability to correct is minimal... He explained everything to me, which was actually quite interesting... I would not attempt this myself, especially the seam which is necessary at the spoiler to line it up properly... If you can afford, get your stripes from Phoenix, they are the ones for the dealerships, double the price however they are cut and contoured to your car... Save yourself a lot of frutration and pay for a professional install... Mine cost me $150 and he did it in my garage... Good luck and be sure to post pics...

By the way, mine were 3M good quality and $59 on eBay...

It is a $1200 option at the dealership in Canada...

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Rally stripes