Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Painting Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Default Painting Rotors

Kk so yes this is once again another thread for me concerning car shows & getting ready for them got my first one in two weeks (i realized today) & i got A LOT of work to do! So here's my question I need to find paint that I could use to paint the parts of the rotors that have rust on them in the following pics & I need help on how to do it. I know I gotta wire brush on the rust & tape off what I want painted & all but what else do I need to know? So what paint & how to do it. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 AM

You're going to have to use a super high temp paint- engine paint/ grill paint at a minimum, preferably header paint because rotors can get VERY hot if you're doing hard braking (ever seen rotors glow light red before after a few hard stops?)- obviously you won't see that kind of heat in normal day to day driving, but you may eventually need to do a hard stop or two.

Also, a wire brush is not going to cut it for getting that rust off. If you don't have any power tools available, I would buy some rust dissolver and use that to get all the rust off. A long time ago I use a power wire wheel brush on a drill to get the rust off my old drums, and painted them- it lasted maybe a week before it started getting rust bubbles again. There are just a lot of pits and stuff in the material that make it impossible to get all the rust out with just running wire brush over the top.

The bad thing is, most of the non-rusty rotor setups I've seen have been coated from the factory. The few painted setups I've seen have had problems in two places- 1 the area where the wheel mounts digs in and tears through the paint, and 2 the area next to the contact pad (since if the bare area gets wet, it rusts, and that rust can get under the painted edge).

edit- as for the rust inside between the rotor plates- that is going to be super tough to get it all out without acid dipping them or something.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:38 AM

hmm thanks! this is obviously gonna be harder then i thought. is it even worth it you think? i was gonna paint the rust areas black. & i'm not too worried about the rust between the rotor plates. my main concern is on the bottom like near to the wheel & what not

Old 03-30-2010, 12:49 AM

Honestly, this is 1000x easier on brand new rotors. One thing you could try- they do make rust converters that change rust into a dark black coat. Its not super pretty, but it will stop it from rusting further, and won't be bright orange (not sure how well it does in high heat though).

All you'd have to do with that is wipe off the loose rust, and spray or paint it on with a brush. That would make the inside easier too.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:52 AM

yeahh well i wanna get the expensive really nice rotors eventually but these rotors are less then a year old so i gotta stick with these for a while =/ where could i get that stuff? i've never heard of it before tbh

Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 AM

I could've swore I got spray on stuff from Autozone before. The really really nice stuff is supposed to be the POR (paint over rust) system that Eastwood sells, but I've never tried that.

At the local parts store look for 'rust encapsulator' or 'rust converter' (instead of rust dissolver which will just clean the rust to bare metal).

Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like bumpin said - high heat paint, like exhaust paint will do the trick. That is what I plan to do to the silver car when it gets nicer out.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 AM

First thing you need to decide is if you want to do this right or half ***. If you want to do it right then I would order the Raybestos rotors that come painted on the hub face area and inside of the cooling fins. Then do as I did with mine and paint the upper and lower area of the rotor face so the pads cut the paint just to the edge of the paint. This prevents any rust from forming on the rotor. Any other way will only work temporarily. There is no way to get the existing rust from the area of the cooling fins and will flake the paint eventually. After 2 years my rotors still look new. I used a high temp black paint.

Last edited by SSmokybear; 03-30-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 PM

thanks guys! i'll have to try a couple different things i guess until i figure out what works. btw dan how much were those rotors? & where did u get them from?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i just used it behind my fuel door, i had to rust it down and put it on...

its called gemplers i believe

Quick Reply: Painting Rotors