Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Painting a Monte

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Default Painting a Monte

Hey guys i have a Green 2000 Monte Carlo SS that i want to paint Black, Im looking at a estimate for cost wise, I dont care about the door jams and such, The car is in need of very light body work ( Small rust that just needs little sanding and bondo clean up)

Just curious on how much it may cost me, I live in Canada but the USA is very close and could take it there if its that much cheaper.... Southern Ontario is my local, any experience would be helpful!

Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Hi Cabo, and Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.
We have several Member's that are painters and I hope they read your thread and post....
Until then you may want to check out a few of the links below...Explore the MCF & EnJoy....Good Luck with your Monte & `Life...

How Much Does it Cost to Paint a Car? | eHow.com

Jul 22, 2010 ... How Much Does it Cost to Paint a Car?. Painting a car requires more than a few cans of spray paint. While these sort of jobs are available ...
www.ehow.com › ... › Auto Body RepairPaint a Car - Cached

Cost of Auto Painting - Get Prices and Information - CostHelper.com

called first to the maaco in rosemead ca. and they would not give me a quote of how much it would cost to paint my car. but they did tell me since this ...
www.costhelper.com/cost/cars/auto-painting.html - Cached - Similar

Whole car painting | Car Painting Options | Maaco Auto Body Shop

Each Maaco body shop paints many cars every week, which lowers our auto paint and auto body repair cost per car. And no one can match our buying power on ...
www.maaco.com/paint-overall.aspx - Cached - Similar

Old 01-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I dont know how much body work you need done so Im not going to include that in my estimate. If you were to just have your car scuffed and painted, having all the usual parts removed (bumper covers, emblems, headlights/tail lights, mirrors, lock cylinders door handles belt moldings ect) look to spend anywhere between 900-2000 bucks for a decent paint job. Depending on the shop it could be more or less tho. If there is alot of body work that needs done you may be spending closer to $3000-$3500 or even more when all said and done. You can always find somewhere that will mask off everything and just scuff and shoot around it and spend a little less for a quick paint job.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:50 PM

You don't want Macco to repaint your car. When it come to repainting and the finish on your car they aren't the people to look for when it comes to that. There is more to refinishing a paint surface. Well I could get in deeper details if you would like. But paint is not cheap ,relatively speaking, unless its black. Reds and other brighter colors are going to be the start of cost rising. Add in metaliics and pearls then it sky rockets. So if the refinisher is doing everything as in you dropping off the car and you picking it up I would expect an easy grand on a new paint job including cutting in all the jambs (Including the engine bay) areas that are easy to see. To be completely honest I would say if you get away spending a G' I would say you got off cheap. Especially considering the size of our cars. And like was said above those prices atleast in my state is considering there is very little body work and all there is no base or huge rock chips and so on in your top coat.

When I repaint mine paint and everything I need to refinish I will have spent close to that alone in materials. Of course thats using very nice quality materials.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Yeah i only plan to get a good paint job in Black, Il def shop away from Maaco

Even if i went with the top of line maaco service your saying i'd be up the creek?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 PM

5 Year Member

"Top of the Line" and Maaco should never be used in the same sentence.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ok i hear macco is shet, no good ect, i agree compleatly if they are doing all the prepwork ect but i have heard from many body men that if you do the prepwork, get it all ready they shoot it it's good, those guys paint day in day out

Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
ok i hear macco is shet, no good ect, i agree compleatly if they are doing all the prepwork ect but i have heard from many body men that if you do the prepwork, get it all ready they shoot it it's good, those guys paint day in day out
Yes, Thats what i was kinda hoping to do, I would do the sanding/prep work my self since i have a shop at my disposal with all the tools i need. You see i work for a NASCAR Canada team and il be honest we have everything to paint my car and really leaning at all options. What goes into a god paintjob?

Looking at Black with clearcoat

Old 01-24-2011, 06:48 AM

5 Year Member

Maaco uses the cheapest paint they can get as well, its not just their poor prepwork. They do everything possible to save as much money so they can charge such low rates.

A good paint job requires a good base to start with first off. The body work and prep work is the biggest parts. With black you want the panels to be straight as possible so your body work has to be very good. You need to make sure all the panels are sanded properly and cleaned off good before you even start masking. After you are done masking you want to clean everything off again. I usually blow everything off after cleaning the panels down and then go over everything with a tack rag.

Dont overlook the prep work. Its a large factor in how your paint job turns out.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Thanks `Mod Matt for posting your experience & what is best to do in getting a great paint `job. I keep learning something everyday on the MCF. Thanks again for taking the time to share with your Monte Carlo Family 4-Sure

Quick Reply: Painting a Monte