Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Painting Interior Plastics

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Painting Interior Plastics

Okay, so i have some parts on the interior that are kinda scuffed up and i wanna fix them up and make them look better, so tonight i primed them and then about two hours later i painted them with the paint that i used to paint my front plate filler. I painted it and then it almost instantly started bubbling, am i doing something wrong? its kinda of frusterating, maybe i have to let the primer settle overnight? any help would be great, thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 PM

well first of all that really sucks!! 2nd did you use the same primer as the paint you used?? i know there is alot of paints that will lift a primer if its not the same brand as the other. 2 hrs should definetly be long enough to paint over it though. what are you gonna do to get the stuff off now?? somthing else that could possibly be, what did you use to clean the surface?? did it contain any type of oil, or did you not clean it off?? if you didnt clean it, the natural oils on your skin will affect painting/priming. it usually makes it really thin and makes the paint/primer kinda bead off whatever youre painting.

Last edited by wht02monte; 04-12-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 PM

ahhh, did you use an adhesive promoter?? some paint or primer will have negetive effects with plastic/vinyl. i know when i tried to paint stuff in a previous vehicle it did that exact same thing (bubbled)

Old 04-12-2010, 11:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

What kind of primer did you use? What kind of paint? The problem with painting plastic is that you need an adhesion promoter for the paint to stick properly. If you used spray can primer and then a urethane base coat over it, the solvents in the base coat will lift the primer. Even single stage will lift the primer. Your best bet would be to either use spray can primer and spray can paint/clear over top, or to use an adhesion promoter, then primer and then a urethane base/clear or acrylic urethane single stage.

Try this stuff:

Scuff the plastic with 400-600 grit paper or a red scotch pad. Then apply two coats of the bulldog. Hold the can 10 inches from the panel and kind of dust the bulldog on. If you apply it like regular spray paint, it will run right off the panel, lol. Wait 5 minutes in between coats and 10 minutes after the last coat before applying primer. The piece should have kind of a wet dull shine appearance after you apply it. The best part about it is that is clear so you can use it on headlights and tail lights or any clear plastic before applying paint or clear. It works great on aluminum if you want to clear a nice aluminum part. I use this stuff at work and I wont use any other adhesion promoter.

Last edited by mrl390; 04-12-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 AM

There's a thread about painting plastics somewhere on the forum. I've read that most of the plastic parts have a thin layer covering it that needs to be taken off by sanding it. I read someone suggested using paint thinner to remove it. U may want to look around the forum for the thread. N moss def use the adhesion promoter.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member

okay ill look into that, the first thing i primed just peeled off, it was gross haha ill use the promoter tho and let you guys know how it worked, thanks

Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 AM

you should clean it real good first if you havnt already.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member

okay so i checked it today, some sticked, should i just use adhesive promoter now on top of that? it looks decent actually but some of the primer shows through on the bigger piece

Old 04-13-2010, 03:28 PM

probabyl go over with a clear coat then another paint layer. im not sure on the clear before the next paint though, wait till somebody else responds first. but you could just do another coat of paint then clearcoat. you should be fine then.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Just sand the part and sand off the primer and start fresh. It may be sticking now but who knows if it will peel off later.

Quick Reply: Painting Interior Plastics