Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Need New Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Need New Brakes

Problem: Pulsing/shaking under braking
Cause: Warped rotors.
Solution: Replace with a quality aftermarket rotor and this problem should go away. After going through several sets of OEM rotors, I switched to Centric and haven't warped a set since.
Prevention: avoid getting rotors wet while hot, avoid hard braking and then holding the pads on the rotors

Is an issue I have I'm looking into getting Centric since that's obviously what was suggested, any specific type you suggest? I have an 06 Monte SS the only mods I'm going to have is Thrush muffler and CAI maybe a res delete. I don't usually do hard breaking... on occasion... (Windsor drivers SUCK!)

Old 04-16-2012, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member

I was also wondering should I get new callipers...? or just keep the ones I have and paint them?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just get a high quality rotor and whatever pads you want. Perhaps a ceramic pad so that you don't get too much dust on your rims.

No need to replace the calipers unless they are bad, or getting stuck. Which I doubt yours are.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM

the only thing i found hard doing is the time to replace the ebrake pads those were a pain. i am going to switch out my rotors the next time i do my pads do to i see really bad groves but i do have plenty of pad left. but i am going to go with a simular rotor or the cross drilled sloted type. if i need to replace my front calipers i will go to the corvett four piston type. instead of the two piston type but other than that keep what you have set up till you need to replace it like chibi said about the calipers

Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member

Well I'd probably go to a shop and get it done, I don't know enough about cars I wish I did unless there is someone in Windsor or Michigan that can help me?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM

15 Year Member

Brakes, oil changes, alternator changing, basic maintenance, are all things you should be able to do yourself.

They all require very little tools outside of a jack, jackstands, basic socket set, breaker bar, and a TQ wrench.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member

I know that chibi but I don't trust myself unless someone has done it with me before

Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Brakes, oil changes, alternator changing, basic maintenance, are all things you should be able to do yourself.

They all require very little tools outside of a jack, jackstands, basic socket set, breaker bar, and a TQ wrench.
Chibi is right - you don't want to have to pay 300 dollars to have your car towed because your serpentine belt breaks or need AAA to change your tire.

Originally Posted by Jparks
I know that chibi but I don't trust myself unless someone has done it with me before
Easiest way to learn is to do it. Most of the standard maintenance tasks are hard to mess up. Only bad thing with GM cars is with a lot of them (including ours) being assembled in Canada - some bolts are standard, others are metric.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member

so what about changing rotors?

and I know there's threads on how to do this stuff maybe someone could post the link or direct me to a site?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM

15 Year Member

Basically to change a rotor, you just need to remove 2 extra bolts than doing a pad change. 2, 15mm bolts hold the caliper bracket to the rotor. Remove that, and the rotor slides off like a tire.

New rotor on, bracket back on, pads sit in the bracket, caliper (you compress with c-clamp and old pad) goes over the new pads, put the caliper bolts in after greasing them, tighten it all up, put tire back on.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Need New Brakes