Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Need help installing pace car spoiler! Anyone have Template?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:02 PM
3 Year Member
Default Need help installing pace car spoiler! Anyone have Template?

So i just bought a monte carlo spoiler of ebay but it did not come with a template and i want to install it but have no idea where to put the holes doesnt anyone have a template or any ideas to help me out please>!?

thanks for all the help my other questions btw everyone!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

just close your eyes and drill away...j/k. pm jarhead he bought one off flea-bay too and i'm sure he can tell you how he install it.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

mark the holes on some cardboard, tape the cardboard down in place and drill on the holes

if you got a cheaper one that doesnt have the metal inserts for the bolts or screws, then try to get it as tight as you can but dont strip out the plastic.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 PM
3 Year Member

how will i know if im getting the led part of the spoiler close enough to the trunk? i just dont want to do the cardboard idea then have my spoiler hangin off an extra couple cm off the car :P

Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member

i found a good place to match up the cardboard to the trunk lid, tape it down, outline the spoiler, tape it onto the spoiler and mark up the drill spots, it sounds confusing but its not too bad, if worst comes to worst, have someone do it for you for like 50 bucks or so

Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 PM

This is what you can do and is what I did. It worked perfect for me. Put the screws in the spoiler by itself. Then line up the spoiler where you want it on the trunk and apply slight pressure to the spoiler so the screws in the spoiler make marks on the trunk lid. Drill the marks you made only enough to where the screws will barely fit, that way, if the spoiler is off alittle, you can open up the holes enough to position it correctly. You dont really have to worry about iif you need to make an extra hole or two, cause the spoiler should cover them. Another thing I thought of after I did that, Measure the holes where the screws go under the spoiler then measure under the trunk lid and there should be some kind of placement where the holes need to go.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

this does sound like a bit of a problem! we don't want to move in hast but rather sit back a examine our options. possibly call in a couple hollywood types or harvard proffessors. maybe bring in a mechanical engineer / spoiler zar!!!...hmmm I would make a template of the footprint of the spoiler and lay it on the trunk with the screws facing up poking thru the template, now place the spoiler over the screws and move the spoiler to achieve the look and position you want....now take a measuring tape and be sure have a equal distance from the forward trunk to the spoiler (use the two vertical wire runs on the rear window defrost as two equal locations) then measure the distance from trunk center left and right ..make sure they are the same.. tape the center of the template and remove the spoiler..remove screws and remeasure making sure you are still possitioned then tape the ends...drill away. there are various blind hole & butterfly anchores that can be used if you are dealing with a aftermarket blow molded resin spoiler..you should also consider a thin strip of 3M double sided tape under the spoiler also a rubber disc atop and below the bolt holes in case the tape allows water thru,,, Have fun now all you need is a decal for the rear of the spoiler..may know someone who can help with that as well

Last edited by jarheadbobandmax; 06-23-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jarheadbobandmax
this does sound like a bit of a problem! we don't want to move in hast but rather sit back a examine our options. possibly call in a couple hollywood types or harvard proffessors. maybe bring in a mechanical engineer / spoiler zar!!!...hmmm I would make a template of the footprint of the spoiler and lay it on the trunk with the screws facing up poking thru the template, now place the spoiler over the screws and move the spoiler to achieve the look and position you want....now take a measuring tape and be sure have a equal distance from the forward trunk to the spoiler (use the two vertical wire runs on the rear window defrost as two equal locations) then measure the distance from trunk center left and right ..make sure they are the same.. tape the center of the template and remove the spoiler..remove screws and remeasure making sure you are still possitioned then tape the ends...drill away. there are various blind hole & butterfly anchores that can be used if you are dealing with a aftermarket blow molded resin spoiler..you should also consider a thin strip of 3M double sided tape under the spoiler also a rubber disc atop and below the bolt holes in case the tape allows water thru,,, Have fun now all you need is a decal for the rear of the spoiler..may know someone who can help with that as well
thats a gorgeous lookin car ya found there jarhead =p

Old 06-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

Mitch there are three changes I suggest with your Montes rear view, two require $$$$
1) dual chrome or stainless tips $$$$(dual exhaust)
2) removal of the trunk lock $$$$ (something I'd like to do myself)
3) grab a bottle of dupli-color touch up (scratch repair bottle) and blot out the stainless screws on the back ups..it's a small detail.
far from the LS you joined the forum with...looks good!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 PM

Off topic,excuse me but...why do people black out the license plate on post pics?
Never quite got that.....

Quick Reply: Need help installing pace car spoiler! Anyone have Template?