Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

My trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:43 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My trunk

Ahh, the longest thing Ive ever done. Filling in the keyhole, debadging it, and painting it, like 3 times. So it was all done, I used rubbing compound, then waxed it and it was amazingly shiney. Its been mabye 2 weeks now and ive washed it mabye 2-3 times, and its loosing its shine, terribly. Its almost not even close to a gloss now, just dull. I used duplicolor paint in the actual paint gun. What is going on that its not holding its shine, wo i have to re rubbing compound it?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:37 AM

...Hi `Brock, I see that you are posting in the early morning hour : ) Does it have U so upset that you can't sleep ? lol..Oh `No.....I'm not a painter, but I"ve attempted many times, but failed ...I now leave it to the pro's....

Did you put clear coats on after your painted ? ??
Look 4ward to what our professional painters post in ref: to your prob of losing Shine : (

We keep learn'in as we travel our `journey of life & work.
Good Luck `Brock....~>4-Sure

Old 05-10-2009, 06:50 AM

this can be caused by a couple of things.

1 perhaps you reduced your clearcoat a little to much when mixing it to get it to lay down a little more smooth. doing this causes the solvents to evaporate faster thus causing the dull effect.

2. not letting the paint cure enough in the booth before pulling it out and letting cooler air hit it

3 choosing the wrong reducer for your spraying conditions i.e using a fast evaporation reducer in high temp conditions.. high temp reducer =

4. not waiting long enough between coats. if you apply another coat of clear before allowing the solvents to evaporate from the first, you will trap them under. then as the paint cures those solvents will try to escap and cause the top layer to dull and/or solvent pop which is the appearance of thousands of tiny craters in the clear

5. letting the paint cure in an area thats not properly ventilated. aka the dead air cure

what i would do to remedy this is wetsand the decklid with some 2000 grit and re-clear coat.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:46 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Well its no reducer problems, I got the paint pre mixed. And i let the clear coats sit for a good 30 mins between coats. Its almost turning a lighter color in some areas as well. Ill try to re clear coat someday. Anything i can do with polish or something?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:16 AM

well on that note i would try using a color restor wax and see it they helps. Meguires has a product called color x you can get at most advanced auto parts or auto zone.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:20 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Well I tried rubbing compound, shine is back. Ill try the color X gothkid. How can I hold in the shine now, since I guess just wax isnt happening.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 AM

well wax isnt a one step process there is a few steps yeah imma post a new thread on it but heres the crash course

1. sctrach or swril remover
2. polish
3. wax

Old 05-10-2009, 12:43 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Sounds good.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:35 PM

You shouldn't have waxed it so soon. You should have waited at least a month. If you wax over fresh paint the wax seals the paint and traps the rest of the solvents that would have escaped over the next couple of months. I've been working in autobody for 7 years now and we always tell people to wait at least a couple of months before waxing the vehicle.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Oh ok. Well its been a few weeks now and rubbing compound really helped it out and I waxed it again. Will it be ok?

Quick Reply: My trunk