Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Leaking sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Leaking sunroof

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo LT. Just recently the sunroof has started leaking; first during washes and now during heavy rain. The water will drip out of the little console where the sunroof buttons are located. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a certain place that the water may be leaking into the vehicle? Can it be repaired at home with Silicone sealant or is the dealer the best place to have this repaired?

Thanks for any information and assistance!!

Michael

Old 11-15-2011, 11:06 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Mine done it, there's hoses that go down all 4 corners they might be clogged up just shoot some air down em to clear em out

Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! So would a can of compressed air; like the kind used to blow dust from a keyboard; work?

Thanks again!
Michael

Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM

Worth a try but I think it would

Old 11-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Or an air compressor with a needle will probaly work

Old 12-05-2011, 11:00 AM

Well, I shot some air through the tubes and I still have a leak. After the rain yesterday, I looked closely and noticed that the space between the roof line and the sunroof was dry except for a very small amount of moisture going onto the tubes. The leak has to be somewhere along where the water flows into the tubes.

Again, has anyone experienced water leaking into the car from the sunroof and coming out in this location?

Thanks for all replies and help!!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Another spot that can cause water to leak into the overhead controls is the windshild, if u got a leak in the center itll cause that, just run ur finger inbetween the window & the metal on the indside & if its wet its ur windshild

Old 12-16-2011, 12:36 PM

My car just started doing this too- if it rains, or if you run a garden hose above the sunroof, water shows up on the headliner, then runs down both sides of the dash, and onto the floor on both sides. The culprit- either a bad rubber gasket (the one around the sunroof), or plugged drains. I'm suspecting the latter, since the car gets covered in leaves every fall. Oddly enough, this is the first time in the 5 years I have had the car that it has done this, and it had not done it in fall 2006 when it was first covered with 10 pounds of leaves. It has to stay outside because there's no room in the garage..

Fortunately I have a good friend (who is also a mechanic) that will let me know for sure, since there's a chance that he might have to take down the headliner..

Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 PM

My car just started doing too, my drains are clear and my windshield is the original still. I've never seen an original leak before unless it rotted the steel out behind it. Filled up my cup holders with water then froze!!!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 PM

Holy crap! Mine hasnt done that yet. When the forecast calls for rain, I sit a Tupperware type bowl on the console to catch the water. So far it hasnt been much, but it is enough to be annoying.

I had the windshield replaced spring of 2010 and noticed the leaking around spring last year. I took the car back to the shop where the work was done and they did a "water test" on the windshield and the guy said that he cant get any leaks to show up. He did say that he peeled the weatherstripping off and put an additional bead of silicon around the glass then reinstalled the weatherstripping. Even with all of the water he used, there was still no leak; of course until it rained again...LOL!

Like I posted above, the gasket around the sunroof seems dry, so I dont know where the water is coming in at. Ive run my fingers along the top of the windshield after a hard rain and havent felt any water.

Anyway, Im afraid without any repairs the problem will only get worse. I guess its tiem to see what the dealer has to say...besides...$$$$!

Quick Reply: Leaking sunroof