Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

interior mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That was for you.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

the handles were quire easy, they just bolt togeather with a bracket on the opposite side.

the total proccess is this:
1. wash part (i use dawn dishsoap)
2.wipe with tack cloth
3. coat with adhesion promoter (let dry..20 minutes or so, you dont want it to dry completely)
4. 3 light coats of dye, and 2 medium coats. (let dry, i waited 2 days for the dye to set properly)
5. 3 light coats of low luster clear (you can use high gloss if you wish), then 2 medium coats of clear.
6. let it sit and cure for at least 4 days, otherwise you may scratch the dye before it can set...

i haven't done the bottom part (like the pic enzo linked), im not sure that's what i want...

enzo, thanks for that pic, you are making it easier to decide if i want that route or not...

Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03Monte
6. let it sit and cure for at least 4 days, otherwise you may scratch the dye before it can set...
I bought extra pieces, that have been sitting in my closet for almost 3 months now. So waiting for it to dry won't be a problem :P

Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member

Check out this video, it show the steps and how easy it is.
(the guy in the video does not do the adhesion promoter, i do recommend you do this, it will help ensure the dye sticks and does not chip off!)

edit: helps if i link the video huh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMYl2sW0Zw

Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 PM

15 Year Member

bookmarked!

thank you. Hopefully I can find time to tackle this soon! Also wanna get my engine cover and braces painted too

Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member

im not sure how the dye will hold up to engine heat...maybe use a high temp clear? but that might make it shine to much...IDK

if you do it let me know how it turned out!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
bookmarked!
Yes, thanks for the link too. I'm going to have to do mine in the future also, the "paint" that's on mine is coming off and just looks nasty! Hope I can find a donor car for a console swap before I do it.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member

if your console was painted with actual paint, you will not be able to dye it...well, you can but it wont last.

the paint clogs the pores of the plastics making it virtually imposable for the dye to make a strong bond..

Old 09-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I like what you guys have done/are doing with the two tone interior.

That's something I've wanted to do with my Monte since I got it. To break up the monotone black interior. But haven't worked up the ambition to start pulling my interior apart. Especially since I need it as my daily driver. Probably end up getting junkyard pieces and swap them out when they're ready for installation.

Brock, have you considered maybe painting the screw head in the door handle shroud to match the silver? What you have now looks great, but the black screw head kinda draws your eye.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I like what you guys have done/are doing with the two tone interior.

That's something I've wanted to do with my Monte since I got it. To break up the monotone black interior. But haven't worked up the ambition to start pulling my interior apart. Especially since I need it as my daily driver. Probably end up getting junkyard pieces and swap them out when they're ready for installation.

Brock, have you considered maybe painting the screw head in the door handle shroud to match the silver? What you have now looks great, but the black screw head kinda draws your eye.

it may just be a shadow because the hole is recessed.

Quick Reply: interior mod