Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Input with new ext mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:24 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Input with new ext mods

I just finish painting my front bowtie the same color as the car which I think it came out pretty good but want to do some more this holiday weekend and try to get some good pics to show off

I'm thinking of nite shading my taillights some. Not very dark but trying to get rid of the ugly superman combo color. Also replacing my red trunk tie with a colored original one. Last is painting the calipers with the body color blue. I'm just not sure if it will hold up well or how to prep for it.

Any advise on these?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think the front looks great! As for the rear, I see what you mean by "Superman combo". I don't know if they make them for your car, but I think that a clear lens with red bulbs would look best on the rear. It would bring the front and the rear of the car together in terms of style. I don't know enough about painting calipers to give any advice on technique, but those rims look awesome. I think you should absolutely paint the calipers with the body color. Or... Embrace the Superman motif and do the whole car in red/blue! Nice car. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 PM

if you go with the superman theme ... you might as well find some 26"s for your car too ...

if however you are going to the taillights with niteshades ... i will make an effort to finally do that write up about how to do it properly for you tonite or tmrw so you will have a bit of a guide

calipers for sure .. im doing my brakes next weekend and while everythings down and off im going to do mine red ... will be the only color on the car other than black as far as the paint for the calipers ... MASKING MASKING MASKING ... youll want to shoot yourself if you get overspray on your car because most people arent going to rip all the lines out just to take everything off to paint it all ... clean with degreaser or cleaner then rough them up with a wire brush or brillo pads ... and use a coat hanger to hang them of the rotor ... i dont know if there are high heat self etching primers but i know VHT makes caliper paint

Last edited by drjesus616; 09-03-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:18 AM

throw some superman red racing stripes on and maybe accent the interior with yellow, i think that would be cool

Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well I was trying to get rid of the rears blue and red theme not go crazy on it. I want it to have a darker theme on the back.

drjesus if you can do a write up it would be awesome. I am leaning towards doing the night shade and taking my time to prep. Ive seen some where they mask off the round lights and only paint the housing. Not sure if that might look right. I'm also replacing the rear trunk emblem with a blue one.

The thing is how to make the paint stay on the caliper. It has the blue high heat brushed in color from pep-boys but doesn't look good from close up. From afar it looks okay.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:45 PM

I agree with getting rid of the red and blue combo, if you are willing to pay the money there are some nice black and clear tail lights on ebay but they are kinda pricey. Tinting the tail lights would look good too. and swaping out the emblem on the trunk would be easy too, maybe find one of the gold with chrome outines and paint it black?

Good job with the front bow tie, and the rims and calipers look real good.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by kingreyna

drjesus if you can do a write up it would be awesome. I am leaning towards doing the night shade and taking my time to prep. Ive seen some where they mask off the round lights and only paint the housing.
well ill make an effort to have it written up for you tonite ... and link you to it ... and everything ... if you happen to get on before ive written it up and still need convincing that it is very easy and can look killer when done ... check these out

Old 09-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

drjesus616, I love your rear end. (No pun intended) I would really like to see a write-up. It looks awesome.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by silverstreak
throw some superman red racing stripes on and maybe accent the interior with yellow, i think that would be cool
lmao if you gonna do that might as well throw a cape on the back window too.

lose all the badges on the back. i love it when i have people asking me what make and model is my car lol. tint both tails, 3rd brake light, and windows tinting. i never like caliper paint kit cuz you will need to reapply the paint often (depend how often you drive the car too) if this this is your DD then yes more likely. spray can hold pretty well that's what i had before on my stock calipers. since you already have the paint kit apply to i would get a can of clear coat paint and apply to the calipers. that should help holding the paint from peeling.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:42 AM

Drjesus' write up for niteshades ...

as promised here is my write up on how to apply niteshades properly ...

if you live near chicago and wish to undertake niteshades painting, i could help or do them for you

Quick Reply: Input with new ext mods