Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Inner fender well help needed for my 1977 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Default Inner fender well help needed for my 1977 Monte Carlo

So 3 weeks ago I bought my 1977 Monte Carlo, it got painted and is currently getting an up to date stereo system installed. Now I am faced with another issue that I had to call on some help for, my inner fender wells are rusted pretty bad. They need some serious work done to them and I need some advice, what are some low cost fixes, what will last for a long time without following the same trend. I live in Rochester and there's a lot of salt the body and the frame aren't rotted out, but little things are starting to get some surface rust on them and some tips on how to keep rust away would be highly appreciated as this Monte Carlo is my daily driver. I hope to hear from someone soon.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

You will either need to replace the inner fenders or cut out the rust and weld in a metal patch. After the repair is done, spray some aerosol rust proofing behind the area that rotted out if possible. Will at least delay the inevitable. If it rusted there once it will probably rust there again in time. All you can really do is make the process take as long as possible.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 AM

Weld in patch spray with a rust etching primer and spray with undercoating.