Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Info requested for a paint color - Home Depot Orange

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Info requested for a paint color - Home Depot Orange

I've got a Tony Stewart SS that I'm trying to find a paint color for that will match the Home Depot Orange used as a secondary color or accent color.

Does anyone make this to the closest or exact specifications?

I'd like to use this color as a detailing paint for some diagonal and strut tower braces for the engine bay.

thanks for any assistance.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

most places that sell paint can maake you an exact match. i was really surprized myself. it might cost a lil more but if thats all your doing you shouldnt need that much.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

A quart of paint or even a pint should easily do what you're wanting... if you have it mixed in acrylic enamal. I wouldn't think you would care to go for the base coat clear coat on this. I would personally go to a good parts store (a good car quest or something) and have a guy who knows what he is talking about pull out the book with the paint codes and slates that show you what each color looks like, and have a picture of the home depot logo or something to the effect of the color you want, and match it up as close as you can.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I would think that paint code for the orange color is on your car with the other paint codes.

If you can get the paint code for the orange, then go online, and look for places that will sell you paint specific to your paint code. I know there are a few places online, because i've ordered paint before, and its an exact match.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

ha! i was just talking to my dad today about that lol we are fans of tony stewart and i was like how cool and different would it be if someone painted their monte carlo that bright orange and make it a special tony stewart edition or something..i mean i know you arent painting the whole car orange but idk i thought that was kinda ironic lol

Old 01-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The orange stripe itself was just a vinyl decal, was it not? I'd suspect it's a GM only decal set, kind of like the flame and number sets for the Jeff Gordon's or the E stripe and numbers for the Dale Jr. editions.... etc.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
ha! i was just talking to my dad today about that lol we are fans of tony stewart and i was like how cool and different would it be if someone painted their monte carlo that bright orange and make it a special tony stewart edition or something..i mean i know you arent painting the whole car orange but idk i thought that was kinda ironic lol
That would be a little too much orange for me. Would look like a rolling traffic cone. LOL

Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
The orange stripe itself was just a vinyl decal, was it not? I'd suspect it's a GM only decal set, kind of like the flame and number sets for the Jeff Gordon's or the E stripe and numbers for the Dale Jr. editions.... etc.
That's what I was thinking too, the orange appears to be just part of a decal set, which is what is making it difficult to get a paint match from a specific code set.

Is there equipment or readers that can read or scan the color profile and mix a paint to match it?

I was just kinda hoping that there was a supplier that had access to the paint scheme of the current NASCAR Home Depot vehicle.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like Pantone 144C. Maybe a paint shop can mix you a free sample of the closest match to that Pantone code and you can put it on a piece of paper and walk out to the car and test it??

Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Looks like Pantone 144C. Maybe a paint shop can mix you a free sample of the closest match to that Pantone code and you can put it on a piece of paper and walk out to the car and test it??

That is pretty close.

I just checked out the Wikipedia entry for Home Depot and they give the color as bright orange, PMS-165.

Quick Reply: Info requested for a paint color - Home Depot Orange