Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

I just swapped my spoiler now how do I fill in the old holes

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Default I just swapped my spoiler now how do I fill in the old holes

I just swapped my surf board style wing for a pace car style wing. Now how do I fill in the old holes?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you can weld in plates and refinish, its not gonna be very easy to make it not very noticeable

Old 01-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it was me, I'd take the trunk lid off and the spoiler back off. I take it the holes aren't very big? If it's just a small hole, like less than a half inch in diameter, what you need to do is take a small body hammer nad just ever so slightly dent it in. If you don't dent it in, the bondo will show the old hole under neath. Then mix up some bondo, fill it in, and then take some sand paper and smooth it out. For this job, I would take an air jitterbug (electric jitter bug will do for this small job, about 80 grit fast cutting sand paper) and smooth it out. Then lightly sand the whole trunk, prime over it, and then sand it and paint it again. You can do this on the car, but it would easier off.... 03 JG may do it on the car. Now you don't have to repaint the entire trunk lid, but something that small, I would. What you can do is lightly sand out several inches, then paint the two section where you had to bondo, and then in your 2nd and 3rd coats sweep farther and farther out with your paint, and then clear over all of it.

My guess is, you don't have the tools to do this and you're going ot have to go to a body shop ;( Sorry!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

me i would weld the holes up but to do that you gotta know what your doin so you dont warp the metal,if you've nvr done any body work it be best to go to a body shop & have them do it

but if you do it on your own u might be able to get away with just spraying the top of the trunk & end your paint line where the holes for the pace spoiler are

Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
what you need to do is take a small body hammer nad just ever so slightly dent it in. If you don't dent it in, the bondo will show the old hole under neath. Then mix up some bondo, fill it in, and then take some sand paper and smooth it out.
The only problem with this is that bondo is porous and will absorb moisture which will eventually reach the bare metal and begin the rusting process. The rusting will lead to bubbling under the paint. You would be better off using "Gorilla Hair". Its resistant to water and is applied like bondo. You should not get any rust.

But like 03JGMonte said, take it to a body shop and have them weld up the holes for you, then do the bondo, prime, and paint yourself if you are up to the challenge.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:40 AM

5 Year Member

As long as you don't let the bondo sit in the rain before you paint it, you should be fine... the paint seals it.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 AM

you still have moisture getting to the bondo from inside the trunk area on humid days...Personally, I wouldnt take the chance.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM

5 Year Member

Paint that side too I'd just take some $8 can of paint from the hardware store that comes close to matching your car and brush over it though on that side, not many people will look to see it... depends on how perfect you want it to be.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:24 PM

5 Year Member

You may be able to have this leaded in if you're more comfortable with that than the bondo. That would be a metal filler, bondo is a plastic filler.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Just have a body shop weld up the holes and paint your decklid. They will be able to blend the paint out so your decklid will still match the quarter panels and then they will just clear the whole decklid. Unless you can blend paint then your decklid wont match the quarter panels if you do it yourself. Dont bondo the holes, bondo shrinks and eventually will fall out of the holes, especially on the decklid that you open and close often.

Quick Reply: I just swapped my spoiler now how do I fill in the old holes