Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): How to install high sport kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How to install high sport kit

I know that you need to cut slots, but how do you cut them? Ive had a high sport kit sitting around for a while and hope to get it on within 2-3weeks seeing how the weather is getting warmer. Does anyone know how to cut the slots on the bumper so they are nice and straight? Do I need a special tool?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member

Anyone else know how to do this?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM

If it was a factory high sport kit it should have come with a set of templates that you can tape to the outside of the bumpers that show you where to cut the slots and attach the plates on the rear bumper. Also you will most likely need all the new clips to that hold the rockers onto the car as they are very difficult to remove the old ones without breaking the clips as they are made from very brittle plastic. If you don't have the templates with the kit if I remember right if you still have oem bumpers on your car you should be able to remove the bumpers and on the inside there are some marks where the bumper needs to be cut for the kit to fit. They are very thin raised lines in the plastic. You'll probably have to clean the inside of your bumper out really well to see them. I remember seeing them when I replaced the bumpers on my car but I had bought OEM bumpers from GM I am not sure about any aftermarket replacement bumpers if they also have these marks. Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by zwc0442
If it was a factory high sport kit it should have come with a set of templates that you can tape to the outside of the bumpers that show you where to cut the slots and attach the plates on the rear bumper. Also you will most likely need all the new clips to that hold the rockers onto the car as they are very difficult to remove the old ones without breaking the clips as they are made from very brittle plastic. If you don't have the templates with the kit if I remember right if you still have oem bumpers on your car you should be able to remove the bumpers and on the inside there are some marks where the bumper needs to be cut for the kit to fit. They are very thin raised lines in the plastic. You'll probably have to clean the inside of your bumper out really well to see them. I remember seeing them when I replaced the bumpers on my car but I had bought OEM bumpers from GM I am not sure about any aftermarket replacement bumpers if they also have these marks. Hope this helps.
It was the factory high sport kit but I just bought it off Craigslist so I doubt the guy had a template. Suprisingly though all the clips are intact and none of them broke (I couldnt believe it either). I am going to check under my bumper later for those slot things. I should be able to see them if I just crawl under right? Dont really wamt to have to take the whole bumper off

Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I measured the tabs on the kit and cut with a dremel to do my rear bumper, just make the slots a hair longer than the tabs so u can adjust

Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
I measured the tabs on the kit and cut with a dremel to do my rear bumper, just make the slots a hair longer than the tabs so u can adjust
Yeah I think the dremel will give me the cleanest cut

Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by zwc0442
Just looked inside the bumpers, there were no marks where slots need to be cut

Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM

If you can wait a few days, ill dig my old bumpers out and take some measurements for ya as well as some pics

Old 04-18-2013, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
If you can wait a few days, ill dig my old bumpers out and take some measurements for ya as well as some pics
If you can I would appreciate it greatly. Thank You

Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 PM

No problem, ill get em up by Sunday

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): How to install high sport kit