Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

How to change Parking Lamp color

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How to change Parking Lamp color

Hey guys, I've kinda been wanting to do this for a while now but kinda stumped on how to get this to a white color instead of the yellow...

The picture was taken in the day time (sorry if you cant really see the lights)

I want the yellow Parking lights to be white. Is there a way I can do that? Maybe switching to "Pure White" bulbs? Or will they still be that yellow color?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 PM

yeah, that thing that is on the side will make it look gold, i tried to do this on a previous vehicle and it wasnt what i was looking for. from the front though it looks white, buton the side it looks like a dull gold. btu if anybody DOES know how to do thsi id really liek to know also.

Last edited by wht02monte; 04-17-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 PM

The only way I know of doing this would be getting clear corner head light assemblies. If you find some let us know cause that it pretty much the golden goose lol. Other than that I have tried putting in different white bulbs in there with no success even with leds. I ended up just buying some amber leds to put in there since it has to be amber because of the tint of the plastic.

EDIT: By "Parking lights" do you mean the 9005 high beam DRLs or the corner of the headlight assembly where there is 194 bulbs? If you mean the corner of the assembly then the above answer applies.

Last edited by Pure2sin; 04-16-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:23 PM

Well, I'm going to get some headlight tint & foglight covers (vinyl) for my monte and just wanted to know. Well, most people see the front of your car anyways lol so, plus it'd be like "magic" haha. Go to the side and its gold, BUT WAIT! go to the front and ITS WHITE! ITS MAGIC! lol, white is what im going for in the headlights and foglights. Now I just need to figure out how to change the fogs.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
EDIT: By "Parking lights" do you mean the 9005 high beam DRLs or the corner of the headlight assembly where there is 194 bulbs? If you mean the corner of the assembly then the above answer applies.
9005 High Beam DRL's. sorry, forgot about the name lol.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by MonteLSV6
Well, I'm going to get some headlight tint & foglight covers (vinyl) for my monte and just wanted to know. Well, most people see the front of your car anyways lol so, plus it'd be like "magic" haha. Go to the side and its gold, BUT WAIT! go to the front and ITS WHITE! ITS MAGIC! lol, white is what im going for in the headlights and foglights. Now I just need to figure out how to change the fogs.
Fogs should be easy depending on what color and type. HID fogs might be more work but you could just get white 880 bulbs and put them in there. Even white 880 LED bulbs if they make them, might work but the light output might be lessened. I learned a tip when doing my fog light bulbs. You can access them better if you just take the clips off the headlight housings and pull them forward out of the way. Then you should be able to just reach down with the housings out of the way and get at the fog light bulbs.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 PM

9005 High Beam DRL's. sorry, forgot about the name lol.
I was honestly thinking the same thing myself about the DRLs but I wanted to make them blue. If you don't use them as a high beam (I don't cause of the HIDs) You could just look for 9005 white LED bulbs to go in there. They will probably look more white but you won't get any good output from them as far as using them for a high beam. I cheaper way to try would be to look on Ebay for "White 9005 LED" I know they make them.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 PM

I learned a tip when doing my fog light bulbs. You can access them better if you just take the clips off the headlight housings and pull them forward out of the way. Then you should be able to just reach down with the housings out of the way and get at the fog light bulbs.
lol I learned it to after a month of putting my foglights in when I was working on doing something with my headlight. Then I found out Wow, you can easily access the fogs if you unclip your headlight. LOL one of those dumbstruck moments haha. But, you see, my foglights are Halogen and it looks like the bulb can just be twisted off and replaced. But I tried that and no luck...so I'll be taking it over to Autozone and see if the guys there can help me out with that

I dont use them as a high beam as well, of the same scenario to. I barely use them. BUT, would the LED bulbs turn to a yellow color?

Last edited by MonteLSV6; 04-16-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:39 PM

lol I learned it to after a month of putting my foglights in when I was working on doing something with my headlight. Then I found out Wow, you can easily access the fogs if you unclip your headlight. LOL one of those dumbstruck moments haha. But, you see, my foglights are Halogen and it looks like the bulb can just be twisted off and replaced. But I tried that and no luck...so I'll be taking it over to Autozone and see if the guys there can help me out with that

I dont use them as a high beam as well, of the same scenario to. I barely use them. BUT, would the LED bulbs turn to a yellow color?
I would think the LED white would be more white than anything else, especially more white than halogen.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 PM

I would think the LED white would be more white than anything else, especially more white than halogen.
So, would it still turn to that yellow color when the DRL's are running or no?

Quick Reply: How to change Parking Lamp color