Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Help! Paint color match with spolier

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Default Help! Paint color match with spolier

So I have a 2005 Monte Carlo that has never had a spoiler installed on it, but now I am looking into putting on the nascar stand up spoiler. The installation shouldn't be too bad but the Paint color is the problem.

I am probably going to order the spoiler from carid.com and they will paint it once I order it. However, their paint code does not exactly match. What they have is the "Light Tarnished Silver Metallic" with a paint code ending in 994L.

Now the paint on my car is the typical "Silver Metallic" with the 910L paint code.

Has anyone done this before or know what I should do here? Just wondering how far off the paint will be from the car color or if I will even notice a difference??? Or if you have any suggestions or other places to get the spoiler let me know.

Any help is Greatly Appreciated!!!!!!!!

JKS® - Chevy Monte Carlo 2000-2007 Factory Style Flush Mount Rear Spoiler

Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the paint you got is the same as the paint code for your vehicle...and yours hasnt already been repainted prior to you getting it...id go with the original paint code!.... Even if it doesnt look right in the can....It should match once it dries!..... what I would recommend for a... "Great" match...Would be to wheel out the rest of the car completely to match your newly painted spoiler.... This is whats worked for me consistantly with a good number of vehicles that have rust issues...That have been repaired,Painted...and feathered in! So maybe matching your 8 yr old paint wont be so hard....
compared to the 14 yr old paint that I have witnesseed in the past cpl weeks!

if your not sure about the 2 different colors being a match.... Go to Painter Supply..and they will show and tell you the difference in the color codes!

Thats my 2 cents...

PS...
if you were here in Michigan...Boy have I got the guy for you to make it all
Match and look like a million bucks!

Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM

Well thats the problem, the paint on the car is not the exact match to the paint from carid.com. The color codes are different. Repainting the entire car isn't really an option.
I just don't know what to do to make this not look like a disaster.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 PM

For what it's worth, I bought mine on Ebay, and it had the proper color codes to choose from. It was like $105 with shipping I think. It was a good experience and matched perfectly.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can get a quote from a local paint shop on painting it properly.

Silver is one of the hardest colors to match. Ordering a painted part online might not be the best option for you.