Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

headlight polishing

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Default headlight polishing

I finally got tired of looking at my slightly yellow left headlight today. I went up autozone and bought the 3m kit. The kit came with a drill adapter, 500 grit paper, 800 grit, some weird fine polishing pad, a foam polishing pad, 3m rubbing compound, and masking tape. I followed the directions and my end result was a non yellow headlight, but i had some pretty noticeable fine scratches. I took some 1000 grit and 2000 grit sandpaper to it and it looked better, but they are still there, just a lot finer. When I get the time I'll buy some even finer sandpaper and hopefully get that sucker looking clear as glass.

Looking to get some tinted headlight/taillight covers soon buy the way.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM

...Hi Jimbo,
Did U take B-4 & after pic's ?
Was your purchase of the 3M Kit a good investment ?
Would you endorse the product...?

Thanks for sharing....You have a beautiful Monte 4-Sure, and
now there's no yellow : ) WoW...and you can also see better : ) Good Luck

Old 05-10-2010, 05:01 PM

yeah i took pics. i'd say you're better off buying some fine sandpaper (1000+) and some sort of polish instead of getting this kit. i really like 3m stuff, and this looked like one of the better kits available, but i'm a little dissappointed that they didn't give you some finer sandpaper instead of a bunch of 500 and 800 grit.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Blue magic has a really nice kit for the same thing and i know it dont leave scratches well i havent heard from anyone yet that it does and also about the tinted light covers my buddy does that profesionally in his garage and you dont even have to get covers he does the light itself and its sick looking what area are you from?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 86_MONTE_CARLO_CL
Blue magic has a really nice kit for the same thing and i know it dont leave scratches well i havent heard from anyone yet that it does and also about the tinted light covers my buddy does that profesionally in his garage and you dont even have to get covers he does the light itself and its sick looking what area are you from?
i dont think he wants permanent because it brings the light output way down and its like seeing with flashlights

Old 05-10-2010, 09:52 PM

im thinking bout getting my taillights done on my 86 it will go great with my all black exterior i am putting 2.5 tint on the windows to lol

Old 05-11-2010, 12:32 AM

you said you wanna get head/tailight covers, do you mean slip overs? do you have a link for these ive been wanting them forever but i cant find teh ones that cover the whole light.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:56 AM

sum times its in the inside and out side and it sucks when it is in the inside cant DO ANYTHING my buddys car is like that the out side is clean as hell but u can see its lthe inside

Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM

My son-in-law, the carwash manager does this all the time. He says there is a kit with polishing compound not sand paper.

I uses soft cloth and Starbright Boat cleaner/wax. It is a paste. Squirt it on and rub it off with the cloth. Did it by hand on my 95. Took about three applications. Walmart has it under another name in thier boating section.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 PM

What about for like a large scuff? Should I just get some super fine sand paper and rub it out? I have a large scuff on the one headlight, it was like that when I got it. My uncle said it could be buffed out, just wondering.

Quick Reply: headlight polishing